The 2014 Westminster College men’s lacrosse season begins in just over two weeks, and the Griffins are going to be tested in their first year as a MCLA Division 1 team. The schedule features six games against teams ranked in the MCLA Preseason Top 25 Coaches’ Poll, including three of the four teams that reached the semifinals of last year’s MCLA Division 1 National Championship.
The season begins with a trip to Logan, Utah, to face RMLC 1AA foe Utah State on Feb. 15. The Griffins will then face UNLV in a rod contest on Feb. 21, before facing Whittier, a NCAA DIII team, in California on Feb. 23. The road trip concludes Feb. 26, when the Griffins visit Loyola Marymount.
Westminster plays at home for the first time on March 6, when in-state rival Utah Valley makes the trip to Dumke Field. Preseason No. 23 Arizona makes the trip to Salt Lake City to face the Griffins on March 13, with the three-game home stand concluding March 16 against Idaho.
That leads into a stretch of six games that features five ranked teams and another that is receiving votes in the preseason poll. The annual battle with No. 4 Brigham Young happens March 22 in Provo and precedes a March 24 game with sixth-ranked UC-Santa Barbara at Judge Memorial. No. 18 Cal Polly comes to Dumke Field on March 28, before another in-state rivalry game with Utah on April 5 at Dumke.
The Griffins will close the regular season with four games away from home that begins April 11 at No. 2 Colorado. The next day it is top-ranked and defending National Champion Colorado State in Fort Collins. Westminster will then travel to Boise, Idaho, to play Boise State on April 18 and Washington on April 19.
The RMLC Tournament will open with a quarterfinal round at the two sites of the No. 3 and 4 seeds on April 26. The final four teams will then travel to Grand Junction, Colo., for the semifinals on May 2 and championship on May 3. The MCLA National Championships take places from May 12-17 in Irvine, Calif., with early round games at Concordia-Irvine and the final rounds at Chapman Stadium on the Chapman Univiversity campus.
Westminster Mens Lacrosse Unveils 2014 Schedule
Tim Haslam talks with members of the Westminster College men's lacrosse team and discusses the upcoming season.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 108
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 65
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 31
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 23
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 22
- Guest commentary: BYU football and... 21
- Decades later, Thurl Bailey and N.C.... 12
- Free agent roundup: Where local... 11