SALT LAKE CITY — University of Utah and Utah State University undergraduate students will present research posters to the Legislature this week.
"Research Posters on the Hill: A Celebration of Undergraduate Research" will be presented from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday in the rotunda of the state Capitol. The event is also open to the public.
The event, now in its 14th year, gives lawmakers the opportunity to see the high-caliber research projects coming from undergraduate students at the state's two public research institutions, and the value of funding from the state to support higher education.
"Research offers our undergraduate students the opportunity to deeply engage in their education," said David W. Pershing, president of the University of Utah. "They are allowed to explore, discover, imagine possibilities and create real solutions to real problems with a faculty mentor. Research and creative activities add a hands-on dimension that is an essential component of a research university such the University of Utah."
Students selected to participate represent a diverse range of research topics. A sampling of this year's subjects include research on preterm birth and chronic kidney disease; the effects of cigarette smoke and age-related macular degeneration; how many people feel powerless to change their economic circumstances; understanding the molecular origins of obesity; the impact of tar sands mining on groundwater; and looking at evidence of tsunamis on ancient Lake Bonneville.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 37
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 26