SPRINGVILLE — The Nebo School District will host its annual chess tournament for elementary, junior high and high school students next month
The event is 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Saturday, March 1, at Cherry Creek Elementary, 484 S. 200 East.
Entrants must check in by 8:30 a.m., and instructions are at 8:45 a.m.
All students get to play six rounds. Students in kindergarten through sixth grades get to play others within their own grade. Students in seventh through ninth grades will be grouped together into one section, and those in grades 10-12 will be in the seventh- through ninth-grade group unless there are enough for their own section.
Rounds are up to 50 minutes each. Trophies will be awarded for first through 12th place per section and for top 12 schools. All other players will receive a medal. Tiebreakers will be decided by the computer
Lunch will be available for purchase, as well as chess sets, chess software and chess books.
Register and pay online at www.utahchessK12.com/nebo. The cost is $8 through Feb. 15, then $15 by Feb. 27, the deadline for all registration.
Students must be in Nebo School District boundaries, whether attending public, charter or home school.
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 49
- Report: Spending on charter students... 21
- Clinton endorses all-boys public... 6
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes... 5
- Math scores slip, reading flat for... 3
- Women called heroes for reviving high... 3
- Alpine district seeking public input on... 2
- Fortune reports: BYU's cybersecurity... 2