TOOELE — The Tooele County School District next week will host the first informational meeting about the dual language immersion programs that will begin next fall.
The event is 6 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 6, in the auditorium at Stansbury High School, 5300 Aberdeen Lane. Any interested parents or guardians who will have first-graders in the district next year are invited to attend. The district will have information on the programs and the application process.
The Tooele County School District will have about 300 slots — two classes of 28-30 students in each school — in five schools with five languages. Open enrollment will be also discussed at the meeting.
The program is being provided by means of five Utah State Office of Education grants and is open to all interested students and families.
The programs are Spanish at Middle Canyon Elementary, Mandarin Chinese at Northlake Elementary, French at Grantsville Elementary, Portuguese at Harris Elementary, and German at West Elementary
West Elementary's program is the first for German in Utah. It will also be a science, technology, engineering and math, which, in German, is referred to as MINT education — math, engineering, natural science and technology.
As a part of the grants, the state office will pay for a dual language coordinator that works half of the time with all five programs and the other half as the German immersion coordinator for Utah. The new position will be housed in the district office.
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- Fire at Little America Hotel forces overnight...
- 'Somebody knows what happened,' daughter...
- Bringing joy through simple acts of kindness
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Park City police nab pair suspected of...
- Gary (and Rose) Neeleman: Q and A with a...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 131
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Rally in support of police also draws... 39
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 22
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 19
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9