TOOELE — The Tooele County School District next week will host the first informational meeting about the dual language immersion programs that will begin next fall.
The event is 6 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 6, in the auditorium at Stansbury High School, 5300 Aberdeen Lane. Any interested parents or guardians who will have first-graders in the district next year are invited to attend. The district will have information on the programs and the application process.
The Tooele County School District will have about 300 slots — two classes of 28-30 students in each school — in five schools with five languages. Open enrollment will be also discussed at the meeting.
The program is being provided by means of five Utah State Office of Education grants and is open to all interested students and families.
The programs are Spanish at Middle Canyon Elementary, Mandarin Chinese at Northlake Elementary, French at Grantsville Elementary, Portuguese at Harris Elementary, and German at West Elementary
West Elementary's program is the first for German in Utah. It will also be a science, technology, engineering and math, which, in German, is referred to as MINT education — math, engineering, natural science and technology.
As a part of the grants, the state office will pay for a dual language coordinator that works half of the time with all five programs and the other half as the German immersion coordinator for Utah. The new position will be housed in the district office.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- We were there: See Deseret News front pages...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Love not attending Salt Lake City Rotary Club...
- Rock climber falls to his death at Zion...
- Friend says wrong-way driver 'wasn't in his...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 79
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 58
- Federal government extends same-sex... 37
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12