Magna man pleads guilty to killing Price woman in DUI crash
PRICE — A Magna man has admitted that he negligently caused the death of a Price woman in a July crash near Scofield Reservoir.
Alvin Clint Carter pleaded guilty Monday in 7th District Court to one count of automobile homicide, a third-degree felony, for his role in the accident that killed Brooke Kristine Tomadakis on July 7.
In exchange for Carter's plea, prosecutors asked a judge to dismiss misdemeanor charges of DUI, driving on a revoked license and failure to maintain control of a vehicle on a mountain road.
Carter, 27, admitted in court records that he was under the influence of alcohol when the pickup truck he was driving slid off Pondtown Road about 1:45 a.m., went down a 150-foot embankment and rolled multiple times.
Carter and Tomadakis, 22, were ejected from the truck. Another passenger, 30-year-old Chad Wink, of West Jordan, crawled out of the truck after it stopped rolling.
Tomadakis died at the scene. Wink, who suffered extensive injuries, was taken to a hospital by private vehicle.
A medical helicopter flew Carter to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center. A test performed on blood drawn more than three hours after the crash revealed that Carter's blood-alcohol content was 0.12, according to court records.
In court papers filed Monday, prosecutors indicated they will not seek prison time for Carter when he is sentenced on April 14. Instead, a judge will be asked to put Carter in jail for one year and place him on probation for three years.
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Attorneys want BYU track team testimony...
- LDS apostle Elder David A. Bednar offers...
- Fear of pending apocalypse led to...
- LDS statement could move Utah...
- About Utah: Utah Valley University fills a...
- 'I feel like I do deserve to be here,' Dea...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 103
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 60
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 35
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 33
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 25
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 24
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 20
- Utah residents rank air pollution as... 19