Magna man pleads guilty to killing Price woman in DUI crash
PRICE — A Magna man has admitted that he negligently caused the death of a Price woman in a July crash near Scofield Reservoir.
Alvin Clint Carter pleaded guilty Monday in 7th District Court to one count of automobile homicide, a third-degree felony, for his role in the accident that killed Brooke Kristine Tomadakis on July 7.
In exchange for Carter's plea, prosecutors asked a judge to dismiss misdemeanor charges of DUI, driving on a revoked license and failure to maintain control of a vehicle on a mountain road.
Carter, 27, admitted in court records that he was under the influence of alcohol when the pickup truck he was driving slid off Pondtown Road about 1:45 a.m., went down a 150-foot embankment and rolled multiple times.
Carter and Tomadakis, 22, were ejected from the truck. Another passenger, 30-year-old Chad Wink, of West Jordan, crawled out of the truck after it stopped rolling.
Tomadakis died at the scene. Wink, who suffered extensive injuries, was taken to a hospital by private vehicle.
A medical helicopter flew Carter to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center. A test performed on blood drawn more than three hours after the crash revealed that Carter's blood-alcohol content was 0.12, according to court records.
In court papers filed Monday, prosecutors indicated they will not seek prison time for Carter when he is sentenced on April 14. Instead, a judge will be asked to put Carter in jail for one year and place him on probation for three years.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- About Utah: For 95-year-old, the secret to...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to same-sex...
- Third person arrested in Carbon County...
- Utah families share tragic stories of teens...
- Preliminary hearing set for Utah mom accused...
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Federal government extends same-sex... 30
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 14