Guest commentary: Ranking the most unlikely players to score 50 points in an NBA game
Chris Young, ASSOCIATED PRESS
After Terrence Ross dropped 10 threes on his way to 51 points Saturday night, I began to think of the most unlikely 50-point scorers in NBA history. I was shocked by how many players qualify for that list.
Here are the 25 guys who shocked us the most when they put up 50.
Note: Look for two former University of Utah greats who made the list.
25. Jamal Crawford: Even though Crawford is averaging 15.5 points per game over his career, he has managed to score at least 50 points three times.
24. Truck Robinson: Robinson finished with a career average of 15.5 points a game. He scored 51 points on Nov. 21, 1978.
23. Ray Williams: Like Robinson and Crawford, Williams averaged 15.5 points a game. He scored 52 points on April 17, 1982.
22. Phil Smith: Even though Smith has a career average of 15.1 points a game, he scored 51 points in two contests in 1976.
21. Rashard Lewis: Lewis scored 50 points on Oct. 31, 2003, in a season where he averaged 17.8 points a night. For his career, Lewis is averaging 15 points a contest.
20. Mike Newlin: Newlin has a career average of 14.9 points a game. He put up his 52-point game on Dec. 16, 1972.
19. Michael Adams: Adams finished his career with an average of 14.7 points a contest. His career high came on March 23, 1991, when he scored 54 points.
18. Freeman Williams: Williams scored 51 points on Jan. 19, 1980, during a season when he was averaging 18.6 points a night. For his career, Williams averaged 14.7 points a game.
17. Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf: Abdul-Rauf scored 51 points on Dec. 7, 1995. He finished his career with an average of 14.6 points a contest.
16. Fred Brown: Brown put up an astounding 58 points on March 23, 1974, during a season when he averaged 16.5 points a night. For his career, Brown registered 14.6 points a game.
15. Charles Smith: Smith scored 52 points on Dec. 1, 1990. He had a career average of 14.4 points a game.
14. Nick Anderson: Anderson put up 50 points on April 23, 1993, during a season when he averaged less than 20 points a game. For his career, Anderson put up 14.4 points a night.
13. Jim Jackson: Jackson scored 50 points on Nov. 26, 1994. He finished his career with an average of 14.3 points a contest.
12. Cedric Ceballos: Ceballos scored 50 points on Dec. 20, 1994. He finished with a career average 14.3 points a game.
11. Clifford Robinson: Robinson scored 50 points on Jan. 16, 2000, in a season where he average 18.5 points a night. For his career, Robinson averaged 14.2 points a contest.
10. André Miller: Miller scored 52 points on Jan. 30, 2010, in a season where he put up 14 points a contest. For his career, Miller is averaging 13.6 points a game.
9. Damon Stoudamire: Stoudamire scored 54 points on Jan. 14, 2005, during a year where he averaged less than 16 points a night. Stoudamire finished with a career average of 13.4 points a game.
8. Jermaine O'Neal: O'Neal scored 55 points on Jan. 4, 2005. He has a career average of 13.3 points a game.
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- San Francisco coach apologizes for postgame...
- WCC Championship game tale of the tape, BYU...
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU football: Bronson Kaufusi excited about...
- BYU basketball: Tyler Haws passes Russell...
- BYU report card vs. San Francisco: Cougars...
- Brad Rock: Ex-Jazz players skip the drama
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 85
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- San Francisco coach apologizes for... 45
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 32
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24