Carolyn Kaster, Associated Press
Computer science classes in Utah K-12 schools
- Utah is one of 17 states that give science or math credit toward high school graduation for computer science classes. In Utah, computer science counts as a third math credit.
- Utah had the lowest percentage (less than 4 percent) of girls taking the AP computer science exam among states in which girls took it. No girls took the AP computer science exam in Mississippi, Wyoming and Montana.
- Computer science doesn’t count as a credit toward Utah’s Regent scholarship, which might dissuade talented students from taking it.
- Utah is one of eight states in which no black students took the AP computer science exam.
- A National Science Foundation grant to the Utah State Office of Education and Westminster College aims to train teachers in computer science and make a hands-on course called exploring computer science available to ninth-graders in many Utah schools. The goal is to expose students to computer science at a younger age and increase involvement for girls and minority students. Other colleges and universities in the state are also involved in trying to increase the number of high school students taking computer science.
- Utah State Office of Education is working with code.org to develop curriculum for junior high schools and middle school within career technical education (CTE) classes.
- Do you want to find Utah schools with computer science classes? Visit http://code.org/learn/local.
— Celia Baker
What You May Have Missed
- Here's an odd way to make it through college...
- Weber State, UVU to introduce program...
- This week in history: Adams and Jefferson...
- Winchester student spots error in Boston...
- Sister missionaries relocated from Provo MTC...
- Fired special education teacher files lawsuit
- Dave Ramsey says: 3 traps to avoid after...
- Teaching the teachers: Do we know how to...
- Religious schools and universities on... 48
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- Does Shakespeare still have a place in... 10
- Here's an odd way to make it through... 8
- Sister missionaries relocated from... 7
- Teaching the teachers: Do we know how... 7
- Stan Lockhart appointed to fill State... 5
- 2 movies fit for the classroom 3