BYU golf: men's team ties for fourth after day one of Arizona Collegiate
Senior Justin Keiley and the No. 38 BYU men's golf team are tied in fourth place after day one of the Arizona Collegiate on Monday.
"It went from a fairly reasonable course to a challenging course, but I was really proud of the guys how they came back after the first round today," BYU men's golf coach Bruce Brockbank said. "They came back after a poor start, but we fought back and played a solid second round and played really well.”
The Cougars finished the 36-hole day tied in fourth with Arizona at 13-over-par and with a total score of 581. Southern California, UC Berkeley and New Mexico finished ahead of BYU.
Keiley finished the first two rounds in fourth place at 1-under-par and a 69 in round one. He also finished day one with eight birdies.
Sophomore Joe Parkinson and junior Jordan Rodgers finished the day tied in 10th place at 2-over-par. Parkinson and Rodgers had eight and seven birdies for the first two rounds, respectively. Jordan Hammer and Tommy Higham finished tied in 60th place at 13-over-par. Hammer had three birdies, while Higham finished with four.
Individual participant Stephen Archibald completed day one tied in 19th place at 4-over-par with a total of five birdies on the day.
West Coast Conference foes Pacific and Loyola Marymount finished in 10th and 12th place, respectively.
"We just need to go out tomorrow and it’ll be really challenging again because the wind will be picking up, but we just need to be solid," Brockbank said.
BYU will return to action at Sewailo Golf Club on Tuesday with tee times beginning at 8 a.m. MST. Live stats can be followed on GolfStat's website.
- Doug Robinson: BYU's schedule is a football...
- Sports BLT: BYU fan gets creative with...
- Dick Harmon: 5 former BYU quarterbacks could...
- Preseason viewer’s guide: Clash of the...
- BYU coaches focus on shoring up special teams
- Video chronicles Kyle Collinsworth's recovery...
- Cougars begin prepping for season-opener vs....
- Preseason viewer's guide: Clash of the...
- Doug Robinson: BYU's schedule is a... 121
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 108
- BYU football: Cougars agree to... 80
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 76
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 46
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should... 46
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of... 41
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah players take blame... 26