Utah Jazz: Jazz pick up ugly win over Kings to get out of West's cellar
In those closing minutes, Jeremy Evans hit 3 of 6 free throws, Rudy Gobert went 1 for 4, Kanter made 2 of 4, John Lucas III split four freebies and Diante Garrett made 1 of 2 from the charity stripe.
If you missed it while doing the dishes, consider yourself lucky.
“Does it get under the skin of players? I don’t know, it probably (does),” Jazz center Derrick Favors said. “Guys on the court are probably ready to get the game over with, too. At the same time, they’ve just got to understand that they’re trying to do something. We’ve just got to be focused and hit the free throws.”
Fortunately for the Jazz, Kings sub Ray McCallum turned the ball over and then missed a 3-pointer to end Sacramento’s rally.
Otherwise, the Jazz, who went 35 for 53 from the free-throw line for the game, still might be punishing the rim with time stopped.
Don’t expect an apology from Malone.
“I’m always going to (do that), whether it’s young guys, old guys, middle-aged guys. I’m always going to do everything I can to extend the game and give us a chance to win,” said Sacramento's coach. “It slows the game down, it stops the clock, and it gives us extra possessions. We went from being completely out of the game to making it interesting.”
The Jazz fell behind 8-2 early on, but built a big lead after scoring 30 in the second quarter and 31 in the third.
Favors finished with 17 points and 12 rebounds for his 15th double-double, Marvin Williams ended with 16 points and 11 rebounds, and Evans added 14 points and 10 boards despite being poked in the eye in the second quarter.
"It was a great win," Burke said. "We came out with more intensity today. ... We did what it took to get a win tonight."
They'll probably do what it takes to hit free throws for the next few days.
- Ranking the 26 Utah ties selected in the NFL...
- Free agent roundup: Where locals signed after...
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal for...
- High school track: Orem boys, Millard girls...
- Doug Robinson: The era (and myth) of the...
- Floyd Mayweather wins decision over Manny...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring believes he...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's 2015 September schedule:...
- Brad Rock: Utah-BYU rivalry will... 165
- BYU announces 2015 football schedule,... 81
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring... 53
- Dick Harmon: BYU's 2015 September... 44
- BYU hires Lone Peak's Quincy Lewis as... 38
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal... 35
- Free agent roundup: Where locals signed... 33
- BYU's 2015 bowl destination could be... 32