OGDEN — A convicted sex offender charged with kidnapping and sexually abusing a 14-year-old boy is back behind bars, less than a week after he made bail.
Ryan Mitchell Schaffer, 33, is charged with aggravated kidnapping and three counts of forcible sodomy, all first-degree felonies.
Schaffer posted bail last week after 2nd District Judge Scott M. Hadley initially set it at $35,000.
On Monday, prosecutors asked 2nd District Judge Mark R. DeCaria to increase Schaffer's bail.
"The state believes that this person poses a risk to the community," Weber County deputy attorney Letitia Toombs said.
The prosecutor also argued that Schaffer is a flight risk because he left for California after the alleged crime.
But Schaffer's attorney, Nathan Carroll, said there's more to the story, which will come out in court.
"Bottom line, there's a lot of facts that have been left out, and we're going to try to get that information out to the prosecutor's side, and hopefully we can resolve this case,” Carroll said.
The judge increased the bail amount from $35,000 to $100,000 cash only.
Schaffer, a convicted sex offender, is accused of kidnapping a 14-year-old boy in Ogden and abusing him in July.
Schaffer fled Utah with the help of friends and family, police say. He was arrested in California on Aug. 9 and was extradited to Utah on Jan. 16.
The boy’s family said worry and fear have been replaced by relief, for now. A relative of the boy who did not want to be identified said, “The victim had a grin on his face that we haven’t seen in a long time.”
Schaffer will be back in court in two weeks when his attorney plans to argue that his bail be lowered. He said Schaffer isn't a flight risk or a risk to the community.
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- A World War II veteran's story: 'I had...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 159
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 81
- Police release names of officers... 37
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 34
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 18
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17