OGDEN — A convicted sex offender charged with kidnapping and sexually abusing a 14-year-old boy is back behind bars, less than a week after he made bail.
Ryan Mitchell Schaffer, 33, is charged with aggravated kidnapping and three counts of forcible sodomy, all first-degree felonies.
Schaffer posted bail last week after 2nd District Judge Scott M. Hadley initially set it at $35,000.
On Monday, prosecutors asked 2nd District Judge Mark R. DeCaria to increase Schaffer's bail.
"The state believes that this person poses a risk to the community," Weber County deputy attorney Letitia Toombs said.
The prosecutor also argued that Schaffer is a flight risk because he left for California after the alleged crime.
But Schaffer's attorney, Nathan Carroll, said there's more to the story, which will come out in court.
"Bottom line, there's a lot of facts that have been left out, and we're going to try to get that information out to the prosecutor's side, and hopefully we can resolve this case,” Carroll said.
The judge increased the bail amount from $35,000 to $100,000 cash only.
Schaffer, a convicted sex offender, is accused of kidnapping a 14-year-old boy in Ogden and abusing him in July.
Schaffer fled Utah with the help of friends and family, police say. He was arrested in California on Aug. 9 and was extradited to Utah on Jan. 16.
The boy’s family said worry and fear have been replaced by relief, for now. A relative of the boy who did not want to be identified said, “The victim had a grin on his face that we haven’t seen in a long time.”
Schaffer will be back in court in two weeks when his attorney plans to argue that his bail be lowered. He said Schaffer isn't a flight risk or a risk to the community.
- About Utah: He's going public (again) for a...
- Mom who murdered 6 newborns sent to prison...
- County clerks in Utah poring over new law on...
- Man paralyzed in shooting appeals sentence...
- A Utah hiker's dream: A trek that may take...
- 17 pictures that will make you appreciate...
- Woman stole mail from 127 people, police say
- 26-year-old Provo woman missing since...
- County clerks in Utah poring over new... 62
- BYU ranked 'best value college' in Utah 27
- Herbert to meet with Obama... 24
- Utah Rep. Mia Love raises $440K in... 18
- Pornography conference probes perils,... 16
- Second student sues district over... 15
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth... 11
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 9