Utes in the NFL: Alex Smith, Eric Weddle pulling for Manning in the Super Bowl
Michael Conroy, AP
At least two former Utes in the NFL are supporting Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning in Super Bowl XLVIII.
Aditi Kinkhabwala of NFL.com interviewed Pro Bowl players Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith and San Diego Chargers safety Eric Weddle in Hawaii about the star quarterback. Both University of Utah graduates expressed their admiration of Manning.
"Look at what he's gone through — from the neck stuff to the Colts letting him go to finding a new home and even having a season like this at his age," Smith told Kinkhabwala. "You can't help but want it for him."
Likewise, Weddle went out of his way to praise Manning.
"I have the utmost respect for him," Weddle said. "He's gracious in defeat, he's gracious when he wins and he shows how to respect your opponent, always."
Smith and Weddle weren't the only Pro Bowlers to support Manning. For more on what these elite players had to say about Manning, read the rest of Kinkhabwala's interviews.
- Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 4: Ranking the...
- BYU supports Virginia kicker whose dad...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Branden Bowen commits...
- BYU football: No rest for BYU defense during...
- Ute coach Kyle Whittingham congratulates...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Knuckleheads with...
- Pac-12 conference is off to strong start in 2014
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 163
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 112
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 84
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 53
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset,... 29
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads... 28