Utes in the NFL: Alex Smith, Eric Weddle pulling for Manning in the Super Bowl
Michael Conroy, AP
At least two former Utes in the NFL are supporting Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning in Super Bowl XLVIII.
Aditi Kinkhabwala of NFL.com interviewed Pro Bowl players Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith and San Diego Chargers safety Eric Weddle in Hawaii about the star quarterback. Both University of Utah graduates expressed their admiration of Manning.
"Look at what he's gone through — from the neck stuff to the Colts letting him go to finding a new home and even having a season like this at his age," Smith told Kinkhabwala. "You can't help but want it for him."
Likewise, Weddle went out of his way to praise Manning.
"I have the utmost respect for him," Weddle said. "He's gracious in defeat, he's gracious when he wins and he shows how to respect your opponent, always."
Smith and Weddle weren't the only Pro Bowlers to support Manning. For more on what these elite players had to say about Manning, read the rest of Kinkhabwala's interviews.
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Utah Jazz select Baylor forward Taurean...
- Magic land Serge Ibaka in draft-night trade...
- 76ers take Ben Simmons with No. 1 pick in NBA...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 150
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 61
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 38
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 32
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 19