Utes in the NFL: Alex Smith, Eric Weddle pulling for Manning in the Super Bowl
Michael Conroy, AP
At least two former Utes in the NFL are supporting Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning in Super Bowl XLVIII.
Aditi Kinkhabwala of NFL.com interviewed Pro Bowl players Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith and San Diego Chargers safety Eric Weddle in Hawaii about the star quarterback. Both University of Utah graduates expressed their admiration of Manning.
"Look at what he's gone through — from the neck stuff to the Colts letting him go to finding a new home and even having a season like this at his age," Smith told Kinkhabwala. "You can't help but want it for him."
Likewise, Weddle went out of his way to praise Manning.
"I have the utmost respect for him," Weddle said. "He's gracious in defeat, he's gracious when he wins and he shows how to respect your opponent, always."
Smith and Weddle weren't the only Pro Bowlers to support Manning. For more on what these elite players had to say about Manning, read the rest of Kinkhabwala's interviews.
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs and...
- Former Utah cornerback Dominque Hatfield...
- High school football: Ben Lomond Scots 2015...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 55
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 45
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 29
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 23
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 23
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 16
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16