Utes in the NFL: Alex Smith, Eric Weddle pulling for Manning in the Super Bowl
Michael Conroy, AP
At least two former Utes in the NFL are supporting Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning in Super Bowl XLVIII.
Aditi Kinkhabwala of NFL.com interviewed Pro Bowl players Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith and San Diego Chargers safety Eric Weddle in Hawaii about the star quarterback. Both University of Utah graduates expressed their admiration of Manning.
"Look at what he's gone through — from the neck stuff to the Colts letting him go to finding a new home and even having a season like this at his age," Smith told Kinkhabwala. "You can't help but want it for him."
Likewise, Weddle went out of his way to praise Manning.
"I have the utmost respect for him," Weddle said. "He's gracious in defeat, he's gracious when he wins and he shows how to respect your opponent, always."
Smith and Weddle weren't the only Pro Bowlers to support Manning. For more on what these elite players had to say about Manning, read the rest of Kinkhabwala's interviews.
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of NFL...
- Booker, other locals could get NFL draft...
- Decades later, Thurl Bailey and N.C. State...
- BYU men's volleyball: Underwood and others...
- Niumatalolo and Navy make another trip to the...
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for Utah
- No home games for 7 weeks? RSL explains why a...
- The BYU international basketball tracker: How...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 90
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 49
- BYU's Kaufusi an intriguing NFL... 26
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 20
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 18
- Morning links: NFL Draft prospect news... 18
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 14
- BYU football announces full spring... 12