High school basketball: Pleasant Grove beats Herriman in Region 4 battle
Pleasant Grove, after losing to Lone Peak on Tuesday evening, held on to beat the Mustangs 89-83 in this a competitive region game Friday.
The Vikings needed this win to get back on a winning run, as they improved to a 13-2 overall record and 3-1 in Region 4 play.
Herriman stands at 7-7 overall and 1-4 in region play, but it's a quick team that pushes the ball the whole game. Pleasant Grove head coach Randy McAllister said, "Give Herriman credit, they are a very good, young team. They kept up with us for three out of four periods, and we let them back into the game during the last four minutes."
At the half, the Vikings led 44-43, but the Mustangs would not let Pleasant Grove pull away. They kept coming back in the first half.
During the third period, however, Pleasant Grove played solid defense and held the Mustangs to only five points, three of those being foul shots. At the end of the third period, the Vikings led 65-48.
In the last period, the Mustangs, feeding hot-handed shooting, saw senior Alec Johnson and junior David Maynard score 18 and 11 points, respectively, to fuel a 35-point period that just about put the game in Herriman's favor.
"We lost our focus and went away from our game in the last few minutes," Pleasant Grove senior guard Forrest Pincock said. "You can't do that and expect to win."
Fortunately for the Vikings, Herriman resorted to fouling on purpose to get the ball back. Viking guard junior Riley Court, who kept getting fouled, scored eight of his 20 points from the charity line in the last period.
"We do have good shooting and ball handling from our guards," added McAllister.
Time ran out as the Vikings had control of the ball.
"The refs were just letting us play at the end. I think we are lucky to get out of this game with a win," McAllister said.
The Mustangs hit eight treys, 23 field goals and went 13 of 17 from the foul line. The Vikings also hit eight treys, 20 field goals and added 25 of 32 from the charity line.
Herriman's Maynard was the high man on the floor with 33 points and Johnson added 26 for the game. The Vikings' high score came from senior forward Matt Conway with 30 points, Court added 20 and Pincock contributed 15 points.
Next Tuesday, Herriman will host Lone Peak and Westlake will travel to Pleasant Grove. Both games will begin at 7 p.m.
Kent Allen lives in Pleasant Grove and covers Pleasant Grove High School varsity sports for Deseret Connect.
- Morning links: 4 Utahns on ESPN 300 football...
- Ranking the 38 Utah ties selected in the NFL...
- High school baseball: Pleasant Grove holds on...
- Dick Harmon: Why NCAA's wise decision on...
- High school baseball: Herriman rallies past...
- High school track: Top performances from 2016
- High school soccer: 3A/2A state tournament...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 37
- Dick Harmon: Why NCAA's wise decision... 4
- Morning links: 4 Utahns on ESPN 300... 3
- Ranking the 38 Utah ties selected in... 3
- High school baseball: Herriman rallies... 1
- High school baseball: Pleasant Grove... 0
- Mountain West Elite camp leads the... 0
- High school track: Top performances... 0
- High school soccer: 3A/2A state... 0