Film fans who weren't able to make the trip to Park City for the 10-day festival will be able to see many Sundance films in theaters in the coming months. Actor-director Zach Braff's "Wish I Was Here" was purchased by Focus Features for a reported $2.7 million, crowd-pleaser "Whiplash" was picked up by Sony Pictures Classics for roughly $2.5 million and "The One I Love," starring Elisabeth Moss and Mark Duplass was acquired by RADiUS-TWC.
Other films that have secured distribution include Joe Swanberg's "Happy Christmas," starring Anna Kendrick and Lena Dunham, "Laggies" starring Keira Knightley and Sam Rockwell and "I Origins," starring Michael Pitt and Brit Marling.
The documentary "Mitt," directed by Greg Whiteley, was acquired by Netflix prior to the start of the festival and was made available for streaming online Friday. Many of the short films featured during the festival are also available on youtube.
The Sundance Film Festival officially ends on Sunday, but free screenings of the award winners will be held for local audiences on Monday, Jan. 27. Tickets are required for those screenings but a waitlist option is available.
Keri Putnam, executive director of the Sundance Institute, encouraged guests at Saturday's awards ceremony to continue discussing and sharing their reactions to the films they had seen after the festival ends.
"This has been an amazing 10 days," Putnam said, before congratulating the filmmakers in attendance. "This festival really is about you and celebrating your voices and your creativity."
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental shooting...
- Home makeover honors refugee family's service...
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah universities...
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- 20-year-old woman killed after car veers off...
- Skiers celebrate snow and opening of Park...
- About Utah: Now, he's been everywhere
- Man shot, killed in confrontation with police...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 65
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 56
- Executive action brings 'temporary... 49
- Utah business leaders say Congress must... 47
- Groups petition for gun bans from... 28
- Teen in Springville family found dead... 18
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 17
- Firing squads could be legal again in Utah 16