Film fans who weren't able to make the trip to Park City for the 10-day festival will be able to see many Sundance films in theaters in the coming months. Actor-director Zach Braff's "Wish I Was Here" was purchased by Focus Features for a reported $2.7 million, crowd-pleaser "Whiplash" was picked up by Sony Pictures Classics for roughly $2.5 million and "The One I Love," starring Elisabeth Moss and Mark Duplass was acquired by RADiUS-TWC.
Other films that have secured distribution include Joe Swanberg's "Happy Christmas," starring Anna Kendrick and Lena Dunham, "Laggies" starring Keira Knightley and Sam Rockwell and "I Origins," starring Michael Pitt and Brit Marling.
The documentary "Mitt," directed by Greg Whiteley, was acquired by Netflix prior to the start of the festival and was made available for streaming online Friday. Many of the short films featured during the festival are also available on youtube.
The Sundance Film Festival officially ends on Sunday, but free screenings of the award winners will be held for local audiences on Monday, Jan. 27. Tickets are required for those screenings but a waitlist option is available.
Keri Putnam, executive director of the Sundance Institute, encouraged guests at Saturday's awards ceremony to continue discussing and sharing their reactions to the films they had seen after the festival ends.
"This has been an amazing 10 days," Putnam said, before congratulating the filmmakers in attendance. "This festival really is about you and celebrating your voices and your creativity."
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- Logan man killed in Idaho car crash
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Race heating up as congressional Democrats...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 40
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- Scalia's death leaves major void in... 29
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11