Van Noy has sack while Lawson, McGill intercept passes during Senior Bowl
G.M. ANDREWS, AP
Three defensive players who played college football at local schools made big plays Saturday at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala.
Van Noy, who played for the South team along with McGill, switched back and forth from lining up at linebacker and defensive end throughout the game. With the North facing a third and 6 deep in its own territory, Van Noy, who was lined up at defensive end on the play, sacked Virginia Tech quarterback Logan Thomas for a seven-yard loss in the third quarter.
That came one play after Van Noy recorded one of his two tackles in the game.
Both Lawson's and McGill's big plays came in the fourth quarter.
With the South ahead 20-3 and trying to add to its lead, Lawson — playing for the North team — intercepted a pass downfield on third and 9 from San Jose State's David Fales at the North 43. Lawson's takeaway led to the North team's sole touchdown, a 1-yard James White scoring run.
Lawson, who scored on a fumble recovery in the East-West Shrine Game last week, was also credited with a tackle in the game.
McGill's interception came as the North was trying to rally late. After the North had marched 47 yards in six plays to reach the South 33 with just over a minute to play, Miami quarterback Stephen Morris threw downfield toward McGill. The intended receiver slipped on the play, and McGill came up with the game-ending interception at the South 14-yard line.
Like Lawson, McGill also recorded a single tackle.
Two other locals, BYU's Cody Hoffman and Utah State's Tyler Larsen, played on the offensive side of the ball.
Wide receiver Hoffman, playing for the South, caught one pass during the contest, a 5-yarder on third down that set up a 50-yard field goal on the next play. He was also targeted on two other plays.
Larsen played center for the North team, lining up for five offensive possessions. He was on the field for both of the North team's scoring drives.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- High school football: Hunter Wolverines 2015...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 111
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 21
- Morning links: Devontae Booker to be... 20