Van Noy has sack while Lawson, McGill intercept passes during Senior Bowl
G.M. ANDREWS, AP
Three defensive players who played college football at local schools made big plays Saturday at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala.
Van Noy, who played for the South team along with McGill, switched back and forth from lining up at linebacker and defensive end throughout the game. With the North facing a third and 6 deep in its own territory, Van Noy, who was lined up at defensive end on the play, sacked Virginia Tech quarterback Logan Thomas for a seven-yard loss in the third quarter.
That came one play after Van Noy recorded one of his two tackles in the game.
Both Lawson's and McGill's big plays came in the fourth quarter.
With the South ahead 20-3 and trying to add to its lead, Lawson — playing for the North team — intercepted a pass downfield on third and 9 from San Jose State's David Fales at the North 43. Lawson's takeaway led to the North team's sole touchdown, a 1-yard James White scoring run.
Lawson, who scored on a fumble recovery in the East-West Shrine Game last week, was also credited with a tackle in the game.
McGill's interception came as the North was trying to rally late. After the North had marched 47 yards in six plays to reach the South 33 with just over a minute to play, Miami quarterback Stephen Morris threw downfield toward McGill. The intended receiver slipped on the play, and McGill came up with the game-ending interception at the South 14-yard line.
Like Lawson, McGill also recorded a single tackle.
Two other locals, BYU's Cody Hoffman and Utah State's Tyler Larsen, played on the offensive side of the ball.
Wide receiver Hoffman, playing for the South, caught one pass during the contest, a 5-yarder on third down that set up a 50-yard field goal on the next play. He was also targeted on two other plays.
Larsen played center for the North team, lining up for five offensive possessions. He was on the field for both of the North team's scoring drives.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU Cougars video: Jeff Call tells us what to...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 292
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31