It is great to hear that Mayor Becker is working with Obama's climate change task force to fight climate change with more renewable energy, energy efficiencies, plans for preserving limited water resources, and efforts to reduce air pollution.
However, it is very hard for the nation's mayors and governors to deal with climate change on the local and state level when the federal government's action is limited to just that of the executive branch. Shame on Congress for staying on the sidelines.
I would urge Senators Hatch and Lee to terminate their support for the Barrasso amendment that would cut funding for climate change programs and exhort them to sponsor a market-based plan to lower emissions by increasing energy efficiency and developing clean energy technology. A revenue-neutral carbon tax (with border adjustments) would be the best policy they could propose. They are wasting precious time.
- Letter: Access to health care 42
- John Florez: The people's voices don't... 30
- In our opinion: Police vs. protests... 28
- Letter: Sharing culpability 21
- Letter: Distance from religion 19
- A. Scott Anderson: Peace on earth comes... 15
- Prisons bring much positive change 13
- Mark Reynolds: Cheap gas prices... 12