Rather than wasting money on commercials about idling cars, bicycles downtown, and other ineffective attempts to reduce pollution, let's do something that would actually make a difference. If we could reduce the amount of driving time during rush hour by 10 minutes for thousands of cars, twice a day, you could make significant reductions in emissions.
Using double left/right turn lanes on major roads, better synchronization of lights, and converting lanes to accommodate directional traffic flow would reduce driving times. Let's move traffic more efficiently by not reducing lanes to accommodate the non-existent bike riders. Simple observation will show that 99% of the people in the bike lane are recreational riders. Many will say stop driving all together but that is simply not an option for the vast majority. Those that can are already using mass transit. Elimination of the stop and go driving would greatly help our situation.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act needs...
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'?
- Join the discussion: Is feminism misunderstood?
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- My view: Powdr Corp and Park City Mountain...
- The relationship between religiosity and...
- Improving voter turnout still a tough nut to...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 74
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 53
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 39
- My view: A global warming solution to... 36
- Join the discussion: Is it impossible... 32