Rather than wasting money on commercials about idling cars, bicycles downtown, and other ineffective attempts to reduce pollution, let's do something that would actually make a difference. If we could reduce the amount of driving time during rush hour by 10 minutes for thousands of cars, twice a day, you could make significant reductions in emissions.
Using double left/right turn lanes on major roads, better synchronization of lights, and converting lanes to accommodate directional traffic flow would reduce driving times. Let's move traffic more efficiently by not reducing lanes to accommodate the non-existent bike riders. Simple observation will show that 99% of the people in the bike lane are recreational riders. Many will say stop driving all together but that is simply not an option for the vast majority. Those that can are already using mass transit. Elimination of the stop and go driving would greatly help our situation.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet
- In our opinion: Par for the president
- Get the names right — or suffer...
- 20 of the most influential and innovative...
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to inversion is...
- Letter: Our great nation?
- Americans are changing their tune on foreign...
- Letter: Attention diverted
- Letter: Police brutality 62
- School fees: Is Utah really family... 49
- Mary Barker: Our economic discourse... 43
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet 43
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do... 42
- Constitutional commitments trump tribal... 35
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to... 33
- Letter: Society puzzles 32