In advance of the 2014 Legislature, the Deseret News has again identified five issues that very much matter to Utah families.
Beginning today and continuing through this week, we explore these critical issues.
Brown air lying in Wasatch valleys is ugly and portends menacing health challenges, especially for our children and our elderly. The same mountains that bring beauty to Utah trap dirty air in our populated valleys, creating unusual obstacles to cleaning our air. But specific and coordinated efforts can have a cumulative, and appreciable, benefit.
Early engagement with education promises lifelong benefits to every child. Once on a love-of-learning road, students matriculate to college, careers and productively contributing to our society. While early childhood education is best done in the home, not all children have that blessing. Public educators need more money. But increased funding alone won’t solve this problem. Innovation is also essential.
Utah liquor laws are both accommodating to those who responsibly consume alcohol and protective of the public health. Despite suggestions that laws need to be “modernized,” both economic development and public health data clearly show no value in changing those laws.
Poverty is a horrible condition. Poverty passed from generation to generation is an unconscionable waste of the human spirit. Now 50 years since President Lyndon B. Johnson, in announcing his War on Poverty, asserted that “the cause (of poverty) may lie deeper in our failure to give our fellow citizens a fair chance to develop their own capacities ,” policies need to be refined and refocused to address causes, rather than symptoms.
Strong families rely on a stable financial foundation. Utah workers — be they high-tech, blue-collar, service or professional — are good workers. Government’s job is to enhance economic development and allow the free market to create prosperity.
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- About Utah: Remembering the most brilliant...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 164
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 84
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Bingham High students walk out over... 28
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 19
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 18
- Debates ready to start, third-party... 13