BYU tennis: BYU falls to No. 39 Minnesota in consolation final
In its second match in as many days, No. 45 BYU men’s tennis lost to No. 39 Minnesota, 4-0, in the consolation final of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend at the Hilary J. Boone Varsity Tennis Center on Saturday.
“We had an opportunity to get the doubles point against a very physical team,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “There is no question that that would have helped our momentum going into singles.”
The Cougars (4-2) fell to the Gophers for their second-straight loss.
In doubles action, sophomore Andrey Goryachkov and freshman Jeremy Bourgeois led BYU with a strong victory over Leandro Toledo and Eric Frueh, 6-3, while fellow teammates Francis Sargeant and Sterling Galli fell to Jack Hamburg and Mathieu Froment, 6-2.
The momentum swung in the favor of the Gophers as BYU fell in the first three singles matches to seal the outcome.
Bourgeois lost to Hamburg, 6-2, 6-2, while Sargeant lost to Toledo, 6-4, 6-1. It was his first singles loss on the season. Goryachkov put up a fight, going down versus Ruben Weber, 6-5 (3), 6-2. When the match was called, Pearce was down 2-1 in the third set against Froment with the match knotted at one apiece.
“They gave no ground during singles play with the wind at their backs and just beat us,” coach Pearce said. “We're a very young team and I'm pleased that we're 4-2 on the season, but this weekend showed that we need to keep working hard and improving to be an elite team. We're looking forward to returning home and getting back to work in preparation for Air Force and Denver, our regional rivals.”
The Cougars hit the road again for a showdown at Air Force on Friday at 9:30 a.m. MST. The following day they face No. 57 Denver at 4 p.m.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at email@example.com
- Quiz: How much do you really know about BYU...
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: How well do you remember BYU's 1984...
- BYU baseball: season summary recaps national...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on the...
- Dick Harmon: While away from BYU, Tejan...
- Sitake making transition from longtime...
- About Utah: Miracle Bowl BYU receiver Ryan...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 168
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 74
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 47
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 43
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 34
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Dick Harmon: While away from BYU, Tejan... 15