It is my understanding that residents of the Box Elder area are not only condoning, but promoting the cruel and inhumane practice of roping baby horses for sport and entertainment. The organizer of these events is Shawn Judkins, and he has more planned for the near future. In addition, these young horses were transported via double-decker trailers, which were federally banned for horse transport.
I recently read a news article, including the many comments from very angry and disturbed citizens. The article contained a video of the most recent event, clearly showing the young horses being roped, jerked by the neck, and being brutally slammed to the ground, over and over again. Some were dragged from the arena and most had injuries, some severe. The horse community is outraged, and so are animal welfare advocates.
Fourteen states have permanently banned "horse tripping" events because they are cruel, inhumane, and barbaric. I urge Utahns to encourage their state legislators to ensure that Utah follows suit and bans any and all events where animals are abused, whether publicly or privately.
- Robert Bennett: Obama has his own 'killer...
- In our opinion: Labor Day revisited
- Drew Clark: Religious freedom is more than a...
- John Hoffmire: Monied interests and democracy
- In our opinion: Trouble on tap? Colleges...
- On second thought
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to inversion is...
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet
- Drew Clark: Religious freedom is more... 48
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet 46
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to... 39
- Letter: Society puzzles 33
- Robert Bennett: Obama has his own... 28
- Americans are changing their tune on... 27
- In our opinion: Par for the president 24
- In our opinion: Trouble on tap?... 24