SALT LAKE CITY — Police are searching for a man who alarmed witnesses with a gunshot inside a Salt Lake pawn shop Thursday.
The man announced a robbery as he entered EZ Pawn, 235 W. 400 South, at about 3 p.m., before firing once at the ceiling, according to Salt Lake police. Several witnesses immediately took cover on the ground after the shot, and the man used a tool to break open a glass jewelry case. He left with a handful of jewelry and fled southbound on a bicycle.
No one was injured during the robbery, Salt Lake police detective Dennis McGowan said.
The man is described as white and 5 feet, 8 inches tall with a medium build. He was wearing a ski mask, dark clothing and carrying a backpack.
McGowan expressed gratitude that no one was injured, and he stressed the importance of cooperating with assailants during such situations.
"We encourage people to be compliant and give these people whatever it is they're demanding," he said. "These people are unpredictable. You don't know what's driving their behavior or what possible substance they might be under the influence of. It's a much more prudent course of action to be compliant, give them what they want and get them out of the store."
Police are optimistic about the investigation, McGowan said, and are working with new information to find the man. Anyone with more information about the incident can call Salt Lake police at 801-799-3000.
"Every time a firearm is discharged, it gets the attention of everyone," he said. "The sooner we get this person off the street, the better."
- U. student government passes resolution to...
- Salt Lake Comic Con FanX draws 100,000 attendees
- Report: Colleagues wondered if A.G. Mark...
- Man killed in court had tried to prevent...
- Vegas’ water drying up
- Fundraiser established for 2-year-old who was...
- Powell family fires back at recent court...
- Doug Robinson: Horrific crimes show the thin...
- U. student government passes resolution... 81
- Utah's new adaptive testing system... 59
- Utah among states with greatest urban... 45
- Gang member shot, killed after lunging... 27
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental... 25
- Doug Robinson: Horrific crimes show the... 23
- Report: Colleagues wondered if A.G.... 20
- GOP resolution calls for partisan... 19