SALT LAKE CITY — Police are searching for a man who alarmed witnesses with a gunshot inside a Salt Lake pawn shop Thursday.
The man announced a robbery as he entered EZ Pawn, 235 W. 400 South, at about 3 p.m., before firing once at the ceiling, according to Salt Lake police. Several witnesses immediately took cover on the ground after the shot, and the man used a tool to break open a glass jewelry case. He left with a handful of jewelry and fled southbound on a bicycle.
No one was injured during the robbery, Salt Lake police detective Dennis McGowan said.
The man is described as white and 5 feet, 8 inches tall with a medium build. He was wearing a ski mask, dark clothing and carrying a backpack.
McGowan expressed gratitude that no one was injured, and he stressed the importance of cooperating with assailants during such situations.
"We encourage people to be compliant and give these people whatever it is they're demanding," he said. "These people are unpredictable. You don't know what's driving their behavior or what possible substance they might be under the influence of. It's a much more prudent course of action to be compliant, give them what they want and get them out of the store."
Police are optimistic about the investigation, McGowan said, and are working with new information to find the man. Anyone with more information about the incident can call Salt Lake police at 801-799-3000.
"Every time a firearm is discharged, it gets the attention of everyone," he said. "The sooner we get this person off the street, the better."
- About Utah: He's going public (again) for a...
- Mom who murdered 6 newborns sent to prison...
- County clerks in Utah poring over new law on...
- A Utah hiker's dream: A trek that may take...
- Man paralyzed in shooting appeals sentence...
- 17 pictures that will make you appreciate...
- Woman stole mail from 127 people, police say
- Saratoga Springs man caught on video...
- County clerks in Utah poring over new... 62
- BYU ranked 'best value college' in Utah 27
- Herbert to meet with Obama... 24
- Utah Rep. Mia Love raises $440K in... 18
- Pornography conference probes perils,... 16
- Second student sues district over... 15
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth... 11
- EnergySolutions shouldn't store uranium... 8