Hideous, awful, ridiculous and something that Grandma made.
These are all descriptions people have tweeted in response to the opening ceremony uniforms that Team USA will wear at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
The uniforms are 100 percent American-made and were created by fashion designer Ralph Lauren. They were unveiled Thursday.
According to the "TODAY show," the look includes "a knit patchwork cardigan emblazoned with stars ($598), paired with a cream cotton turtleneck sweater ($245), slim-fitting white fleece athletic pants bearing the “Team USA” label ($165), black leather boots with bright red laces ($395) and a cotton belt accented with American graphics ($75). Of course, there’s also a reindeer hat ($95)."
The public responded to the uniform on Twitter, giving them mixed reviews. Many related the sweater and sweatpants combo to something they would wear to an "ugly sweater party," a popular social event during the holidays. Others simply called the outfit "awful" or "hideous," with a handful of people noting that they liked the choice.
New Olympic Sport: The ugly sweater contest... USA wins! http://t.co/EVOFrWyCkK— Keith Robertory (@krobertory) January 24, 2014
Nice look team USA. Nice look (sarcasm intended). #TeamUSA— David Read (@tweetdread) January 24, 2014
I would make some joke about Ralph Lauren or some grandmother designing those #teamUSA sweaters, but my Gma has waaayyy better taste.— Darcy @ m3b (@my3boybarians) January 24, 2014
On Friday, the U.S. Olympic Committee sent a memo to its athletes cautioning them to not prominently display their patriotic outfit in Sochi due to security concerns, the Wall Street Journal reported.
The XXII Olympic Winter Games kick off on Friday, February 7, with the opening ceremony.
- Texas affirmative action plan survives...
- Paris labor protest takes place without incident
- Obama immigration plan blocked by 4-4 tie at...
- How do you teach human interaction to a...
- US new-home sales tumbled in May after a...
- Democrats end 25-hour plus protest to demand...
- Big accreditor of for-profit colleges could...
- Markets, bettors put money on Britons...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- In need of help, Trump finds few... 39
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- Democrats end 25-hour plus protest to... 30
- Big ruling for abortion rights in... 29
- The pro-life plan that could reverse... 29
- Trump, in Scotland, links Brexit vote... 26
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26