BYU basketball: BYU junior Tyler Haws explodes for new career high against Portland
PORTLAND, Ore. — BYU’s Tyler Haws continues to amaze.
The junior guard poured in a career-high 48 points Thursday night in a triple-overtime 114-110 loss against Portland at the Chiles Center.
Haws’ previous career high was 42 points against Virginia Tech on Dec. 29, 2012 at EnergySolutions Arena.
Against Portland, Haws nailed a game-tying 3-pointer with 12 seconds left in overtime, forcing another overtime period.
In the second OT, Haws hit four key free throws.
EVEN KEEL: BYU had endured a four-game losing streak and enjoyed a five-game winning streak going into Thursday’s game.
How does coach Dave Rose keep his team grounded during the best and the worst of times?
“I hope it comes (down to) the fact that this is a marathon,” he said. “We all understand that we have 31 games in the regular season, a conference postseason tournament, and then a postseason tournament. The experience that some of the guys who have been through this rubs off on the younger guys. We say this all the time, that this game is very important and we want to give it our best effort in preparation, but it’s not going to make or break our season. But we want to play like it does, then deal with the results and move on from there.”
AUSTIN’S OK: BYU junior forward Nate Austin, who injured his ankle during Tuesday’s practice, started for the Cougars Thursday.
Austin seemed unaffected by his ankle. He finished with seven points and 14 rebounds.
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- Doug Robinson: What might have been for the...
- BYU basketball: Cougars shake up starting...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 74
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 61
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35