BYU basketball: BYU junior Tyler Haws explodes for new career high against Portland
PORTLAND, Ore. — BYU’s Tyler Haws continues to amaze.
The junior guard poured in a career-high 48 points Thursday night in a triple-overtime 114-110 loss against Portland at the Chiles Center.
Haws’ previous career high was 42 points against Virginia Tech on Dec. 29, 2012 at EnergySolutions Arena.
Against Portland, Haws nailed a game-tying 3-pointer with 12 seconds left in overtime, forcing another overtime period.
In the second OT, Haws hit four key free throws.
EVEN KEEL: BYU had endured a four-game losing streak and enjoyed a five-game winning streak going into Thursday’s game.
How does coach Dave Rose keep his team grounded during the best and the worst of times?
“I hope it comes (down to) the fact that this is a marathon,” he said. “We all understand that we have 31 games in the regular season, a conference postseason tournament, and then a postseason tournament. The experience that some of the guys who have been through this rubs off on the younger guys. We say this all the time, that this game is very important and we want to give it our best effort in preparation, but it’s not going to make or break our season. But we want to play like it does, then deal with the results and move on from there.”
AUSTIN’S OK: BYU junior forward Nate Austin, who injured his ankle during Tuesday’s practice, started for the Cougars Thursday.
Austin seemed unaffected by his ankle. He finished with seven points and 14 rebounds.
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 103
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 81
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 22
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 19
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 8