"I was really happy tonight," head coach Jeff Judkins said. "I thought defensively the first half was one of our best defensive efforts that we’ve had in awhile. It’s nice to see two of your bigs have double-doubles and really dominate inside. That gave us an advantage today and hopefully they’ll continue to do that when we play (San Francisco) again and as we play other teams."
Eaton’s game high led four Cougars (15-4, 5-3 WCC) in double figures. Beeston scored 11 and tied a career high with 10 assists. Bailey had 13 points and 12 rebounds. Hamson finished with a near triple-double, tying a career high with 17 rebounds to go along with 14 points and eight blocks for her 12th double-double of the season. Ashley Garfiled pitched in 10 rebounds.
Zhane Dikes led the Dons (7-12, 2-6 WCC) with 13 points and five rebounds. Taylor Proctor contributed seven points and nine rebounds.
The Cougars got off to a quick 11-0 lead in the first three minutes of the game, highlighted by back-to-back threes from Eaton and Kylie Maeda. Hamson had five blocks in the first 6:36 of the game and finished with six in the half. After the Dons cut the lead to 16-9, the Cougars scored the next 12 straight to extend their lead to 28-9. Eaton had six points during that stretch and the last 12 BYU points of the half. The Cougars held the Dons to 16 percent shooting to take a 34-12 lead into the break.
The BYU lead hovered above 20 until the Cougars used a 12-1 run to extend the lead to 68-35 with just over six minutes left in the game to put the game out of reach.
Kim Beeston hit two threes early in the second half to move into fourth place all-time in 3-pointers made with 205, passing Kari Gallup.
The Cougars return to action Saturday when they host Santa Clara at 2 p.m. MST at the Marriott Center. The game can be seen live on BYUtv.
Justin Green is the sports information director over men's track and cross country for BYU Athletic Communications. He is a BYU student majoring in public relations and minoring in business and will graduate in April 2014. Email: justinjgreen8@gmail.
- Doug Robinson: BYU's schedule is a football...
- Sports BLT: BYU fan gets creative with...
- Preseason viewer’s guide: Clash of the...
- BYU coaches focus on shoring up special teams
- Video chronicles Kyle Collinsworth's recovery...
- Preseason viewer's guide: Clash of the...
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should hear...
- BYU offensive line coming together in time...
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 107
- Doug Robinson: BYU's schedule is a... 106
- BYU football: Cougars agree to... 79
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 76
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 46
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should... 46
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of... 40
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah players take blame... 26