Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SYRACUSE — An 11-year-old boy was rescued Thursday after falling through the ice at Jensen Pond.
Syracuse Police Sgt. Stan Penrod responded to a 911 call reporting the incident at about 5 p.m. Penrod tried using a rope from his car to reach the boy, but the rope was too short. He then stepped onto the ice to get closer to the boy and fell through the ice.
A bystander tried holding on to Penrod's belt in an effort to reach the boy, but the rope was still too short.
Unified police officer Bill Stone, who was off duty, arrived at the pond, 3200 S. Bluff Road, with a longer rope and was able to pull the boy and Penrod to shore.
Syracuse Police Sgt. Lance Call also arrived while off duty and gave his shirt to the boy to warm him up. Paramedics treated the boy and took him to Davis Hospital for evaluation.
The boy later was released from the hospital in good condition, and Penrod suffered no injuries.
Syracuse Police Chief Garret Atkin said the boy was sliding across the ice when he lost his balance, fell down, and the ice gave way.
"This is an excellent reminder to people that even though the lake looks frozen, we've been having some warm weather, and venturing out onto the ice is not a safe thing to be doing," Atkin said.
"I'm very proud of the way my officers acted in this," he said. "They put themselves into harm's way in an effort to save this boy's life. We'd also like to thank the citizens who were involved."
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Man charged with murdering UTA worker found...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 70
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17