Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SYRACUSE — An 11-year-old boy was rescued Thursday after falling through the ice at Jensen Pond.
Syracuse Police Sgt. Stan Penrod responded to a 911 call reporting the incident at about 5 p.m. Penrod tried using a rope from his car to reach the boy, but the rope was too short. He then stepped onto the ice to get closer to the boy and fell through the ice.
A bystander tried holding on to Penrod's belt in an effort to reach the boy, but the rope was still too short.
Unified police officer Bill Stone, who was off duty, arrived at the pond, 3200 S. Bluff Road, with a longer rope and was able to pull the boy and Penrod to shore.
Syracuse Police Sgt. Lance Call also arrived while off duty and gave his shirt to the boy to warm him up. Paramedics treated the boy and took him to Davis Hospital for evaluation.
The boy later was released from the hospital in good condition, and Penrod suffered no injuries.
Syracuse Police Chief Garret Atkin said the boy was sliding across the ice when he lost his balance, fell down, and the ice gave way.
"This is an excellent reminder to people that even though the lake looks frozen, we've been having some warm weather, and venturing out onto the ice is not a safe thing to be doing," Atkin said.
"I'm very proud of the way my officers acted in this," he said. "They put themselves into harm's way in an effort to save this boy's life. We'd also like to thank the citizens who were involved."
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Olene Walker, Utah's first and only female...
- Report: Utah home to 'most impressive'...
- Traditions old and new celebrated as Temple...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Local cowboys: A new foursome for the...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 26
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- Olene Walker, Utah's first and only... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 10
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- New barriers, other security measures... 5