BYU basketball: Cougars lose to Portland in triple-OT thriller
For BYU, Matt Carlino came off the bench to score 25 points and dish out nine assists. Skyler Halford (13) and Kyle Collinsworth (12) also scored in double figures.
BYU trailed 80-78 when Haws tried to find Carlino under the basket, but his pass sailed out of bounds with 32 seconds remaining. On the ensuing inbounds play, however, Carlino tipped the ball into the hands of Haws, who scored a layup to tie the game.
Portland failed to score on its next possession. Collinsworth drove down court with a chance to score the potential game-winner, but he lost the ball out of bounds with 1.4 seconds on the clock.
A desperation heave at the buzzer was short, sending the game into overtime.
In the extra session, Sharp struck again, nailing a 3 that gave Portland an 88-83 advantage. But the Cougars clawed back, tying the game at 91 on a 3-pointer by Haws with less than 12 seconds left. The Pilots missed a shot at the buzzer, forcing a second overtime.
In that extra session, BYU scored the first eight points, but couldn’t hold on.
Early in the game, Portland the lead, then started knocking down 3-pointers, hitting five of its first six attempts from behind the arc — including one by Kevin Bailey that banked in.
The Pilots led by as many as six in the first half, but Haws and Carlino kept it close.
During one stretch, Carlino scored nine straight Cougar points and he finished the half with 13 points. Haws had 16 points at the break.
BYU fell behind by double-digits early in the second half, 55-45. But the Cougars battled back, pulling to within 56-53 after back-to-back 3-pointers by Haws with 14:30 remaining in the game.
Later in the half, Carlino buried back-to-back 3-pointers to cut the deficit to 62-61. Haws hit two free throws to give BYU its first lead, 63-62, with a little less than nine minutes left. It was the Cougars’ first lead since a 4-2 advantage early in the contest.
But that lead was short-lived. The Pilots jumped on top at the five-minute mark on a jumper by Sharp, who followed that up with two 3-pointers during a 60-second span.
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- Utah State denies David Collette's release,...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Davis High named top girls soccer team in the...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 55
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 47
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 39
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35