“The Prey” (Cohen/Blu-ray, 2011, R for violence and language, $34.98, in French with English subtitles, featurettes, trailer). Highly charged thriller, loaded with exciting stunt work, despite a contrived plot. A bank robber in prison makes the mistake of taking his seemingly weak cellmate under his wing, unaware the guy is really a sadistic serial killer. When the killer is released, he stalks his old cellmate’s family — so the robber breaks out of prison to stop him. (Also on DVD, $24.98)
“Life’s an Itch” (Monarch, 2014, not rated, $24.95, featurette). This low-budget comedy tries for a Jack Lemmon vibe (circa the 1960s). A composer stays home to work while his wife heads off to Hawaii with their kids and her mother (a slumming Kathleen Quinlan). At the last minute he’s informed that a yoga teacher is moving into their guesthouse. As you might expect, she’s attractive and free-spirited, and all the friends and neighbors that drop by are oddballs. Forced, silly farce.
“Richard the Lionheart” (Lionsgate, 2013; R for violence, sex, nudity; $26.98, featurette, trailers). Malcolm McDowell is King Henry II, who sends his son to a prison where he will battle villains and learn to rely on his own strength, ingenuity and character.
“Machete Kills” (Universal/Blu-ray, 2013; R for violence, sex, language; two discs, $34.98; Blu-ray, DVD, digital versions; $34.98, deleted/extended scenes, featurette, trailers). Ridiculous over-the-top action film by Robert Rodriguez, starring Danny Trejo as the character he played in the first “Machete,” which was based on a fake trailer in “Grindhouse.” Charlie Sheen, Michelle Rodriguez, Sofia Vergara and Mel Gibson co-star. (Also on DVD, $29.98)
Chris Hicks is the author of "Has Hollywood Lost Its Mind? A Parent’s Guide to Movie Ratings." Website: www.hicksflicks.com
- 60 things you might not know about your...
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Ron Perlman added to Salt Lake Comic Con...
- One more way junk food is bad for you
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- No, you shouldn't feel bad about taking a nap
- Student evades monitors, spreads Ebola to...
- Face time vs. screen time: The technological...
- 3 ways insurers can still avoid... 13
- Outbreak of illness linked to Weber... 13
- It's about time the government... 12
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Social problems... 7
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 7
- Parents respond to Nicki Minaj's 'vile'... 7
- Erin Stewart: Parents: Stop pushing... 6
- In the Whirled: World peace and the... 5