SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Labor Commission has warned of a scam involving requirements for employers to display posters in the workplace.
The commission is aware of a solicitation letter sent to employers throughout the state asking them to send a processing fee in order to become compliant with state and federal poster requirements, by offering to sell an “All-In-One” poster to the employer. The commission said it is concerned these notices appear to threaten to penalize employers for not purchasing posters and are thus misleading.
Required workplace posters, which must be displayed in a visible location somewhere in the workplace, are available free of charge.
“It is not unlawful for private companies to make and sell the posters, but it is important for employers to know they can obtain them at no cost if they choose,” Labor Commissioner Sherrie Hayashi said. “I am concerned, however, if private sellers misrepresent themselves by mailing letters or notices to employers which appear to come from a state or federal agency as a means to sell the posters.”
Employers may report any such suspicious letters or calls to the Utah Department of Commerce, Division of Consumer Protection, firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling 801-530-6601 or 1-800-721-SAFE.
For information about required posters and to download updated versions, visit the Labor Commission’s website, laborcommission.utah.gov.
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- Doug Robinson: Looking back on a cop's career
- Crews rescue two hikers on Mount Timpanogos
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Man, 69, missing after his boat capsizes in...
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 32
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Man charged with killing baby in Ogden... 8
- Circleville farmers scratching their... 8