BYU men’s track and field continues its indoor season this weekend with a trip to Colorado Springs, Colo., to compete in the 24th Air Force Invitational.
“We are looking forward to another good weekend and we hope we can build on last week,” head coach Ed Eyestone said. “All of our events are looking stronger. This is a great opportunity for our multi-event guys. We expect big things from Chase Dalton and Josh Weirich.”
Dalton has been a standout performer for the Cougars and looks to continue his great start to the season in the heptathlon. Weirich is also a strong contributor and looks to place high in the heptathlon. Braydon Bringhurst hopes to improve on last weekend’s clearance of 18 feet, a new personal best, netting him a first-place finish in the pole vault at the Lobo Invitational.
Craig Merkely and Zachary Stetler should lead the Cougars in the weight throw and shot put, respectively, after great showings last weekend where both posted personal bests. Korey Smith leads the BYU sprinters after strong performances in the first two meets of the indoor season.
The meet begins Thursday afternoon with multi-events, which continue into Friday morning, followed by many field event finals. There are qualifying heats for the 400 meters, mile, 200 meters, 800 meters and the distance medley final Friday afternoon. Saturday’s slate begins at 10 a.m. MST with field events. The rest of the day is filled with running events.
There will be no live stats, but updates will be posted throughout the meet on Twitter.
Justin Green is the sports information director over men's track and cross country for BYU Athletic Communications. He is a BYU student majoring in public relations and minoring in business and will graduate in April 2014. Email: justinjgreen8@gmail.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head coach...
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- BYU closes season with painful loss in Miami...
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all brawl...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 170
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 51
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 43
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars... 26
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off... 21