Utah State basketball: Road woes continue as Aggies fall at UNLV
Sam Morris, AP
LAS VEGAS — Utah State is still looking for its first road win in the Mountain West Conference. In its latest attempt, USU fell 62-42 at UNLV on Wednesday night. The Aggies' 42 points were a season low.
USU kept it close for most of the first half, but did not score in the final three minutes of the opening period. The Rebels took advantage of the USU drought and went into the locker room on a 10-0 run to take a 34-24 lead at the break.
The cold streak continued into the second half as the Aggies (12-6, 2-4 Mountain West) were unable to solve UNLV's defense. USU scored just 10 points in the first 10 minutes of the second half against the Rebels (11-7, 3-3).
Jarred Shaw led the way for the Aggies with 14 points and eight rebounds. USU was in the top 20 in the nation in 3-point shooting percentage coming into the game but struggled Wednesday, finishing just 2 of 17 from deep. Guards Spencer Butterfield and Preston Medlin, normally consistent scorers for the Aggies, both struggled. Butterfield finished with seven points, while Medlin had just three, his lowest scoring total since December 2011.
Starting forward Kyle Davis missed the game with an injury and was replaced by Jalen Moore. TeNale Roland also got the starting nod at point guard over Marcel Davis.
The Aggies return home Saturday night for a game against No. 7 San Diego State. Tipoff is scheduled for 9 p.m. in the Spectrum and is being promoted as a "whiteout" game by the athletics department.
Kraig Williams is a 2010 Utah State University graduate and regular Deseret News sports blogger. He can be followed on Twitter @DesNewsKraig.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 75
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 61
- Guest commentary: BYU football and... 40
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 32
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 30
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 27
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 24