Police say man installed skimmer in post office kiosk to steal bank information
Salt Lake City Police Department
KEARNS — A man installed a skimming device at a Salt Lake County post office to steal bank information and pin numbers, police say.
So far, six people have turned to police after money began disappearing from their bank accounts, Salt Lake City police detective Cody Lougy said. Police traced the incursions back to a self-serve kiosk at the Kearns post office, 5495 S. 4015 West, between Dec. 12 and Dec. 18.
"The skimming device was able to read the cardholders' or the victims' account number, as well as their pin number," Lougy said. "Once they have that information, the perpetrator is able to make a fake card, and he has been able to go to various ATMs throughout our city and withdraw money."
Victims have lost up to $500 in a single withdrawal, Lougy said. The withdrawals started Friday, and many were made from machines near City Creek Center.
Surveillance cameras captured an image of the man believed to have installed the skimmer as he got cash from ATMs, Lougy said. The man is described as white, slender and in his mid-20s.
Salt Lake City police are urging residents to use credit rather than debit cards in order to protect their pin numbers and to review their transaction history every few days.
Anyone with information about the man is asked to call Salt Lake City police at 801-799-3100.
— McKenzie Romero
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 41
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 25
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 25
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 20