BYU basketball: Hartsock's coaching path starting at BYU
Another amazing event is about to happen to Hartsock, and his wife, Kendalyn, a former BYU volleyball player. The couple is expecting their first child, a son, this month.
“I told coach Rose, ‘Start recruiting him now.’ He’s going to be a player, hopefully,” Hartsock said with a smile.
Another Hartsock will join the Cougars sooner than that. Noah’s younger brother, Jakob, signed with BYU and is currently serving a mission in Las Vegas.
Meanwhile, Noah is busy preparing for a career in coaching.
“I’d love to keep on coaching. I’d love to stay at this level, but even if it’s high school, I’m just looking forward to being involved with basketball,” he said. “It’s what I know really well and it’s been part of my life for so long. I really enjoy it.”
What is Hartsock’s scouting report on this year’s BYU team?
“They’re very talented. There are a lot of skill players that can do a lot of different things,” he said. “We have a lot of young players. That showed in our first conference games. Most guys didn’t know what to expect. I think as they got into it, they knew more. They’ve done a really good job for how there have been so many good teams on the schedule. As it goes on, it will just get better and better. If they continue like they are, they’ll be pretty good.”
Hartsock is grateful to Rose for giving him a chance to chase his coaching dream, and he's learning all he can from him.
“I see how much he cares for each player and how much he wants to see them get better,” Hartsock said. “He knows all the ins and outs of knowing how to work the players hard, then give them rest. He understands the game so well and how to manage it. That’s taught me a lot from a coaching standpoint.”
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- BYU coach Shawn Olmstead provided calming...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot... 22