BYU basketball: Hartsock's coaching path starting at BYU
Another amazing event is about to happen to Hartsock, and his wife, Kendalyn, a former BYU volleyball player. The couple is expecting their first child, a son, this month.
“I told coach Rose, ‘Start recruiting him now.’ He’s going to be a player, hopefully,” Hartsock said with a smile.
Another Hartsock will join the Cougars sooner than that. Noah’s younger brother, Jakob, signed with BYU and is currently serving a mission in Las Vegas.
Meanwhile, Noah is busy preparing for a career in coaching.
“I’d love to keep on coaching. I’d love to stay at this level, but even if it’s high school, I’m just looking forward to being involved with basketball,” he said. “It’s what I know really well and it’s been part of my life for so long. I really enjoy it.”
What is Hartsock’s scouting report on this year’s BYU team?
“They’re very talented. There are a lot of skill players that can do a lot of different things,” he said. “We have a lot of young players. That showed in our first conference games. Most guys didn’t know what to expect. I think as they got into it, they knew more. They’ve done a really good job for how there have been so many good teams on the schedule. As it goes on, it will just get better and better. If they continue like they are, they’ll be pretty good.”
Hartsock is grateful to Rose for giving him a chance to chase his coaching dream, and he's learning all he can from him.
“I see how much he cares for each player and how much he wants to see them get better,” Hartsock said. “He knows all the ins and outs of knowing how to work the players hard, then give them rest. He understands the game so well and how to manage it. That’s taught me a lot from a coaching standpoint.”
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 98
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has... 24