BYU basketball: Hartsock's coaching path starting at BYU
Another amazing event is about to happen to Hartsock, and his wife, Kendalyn, a former BYU volleyball player. The couple is expecting their first child, a son, this month.
“I told coach Rose, ‘Start recruiting him now.’ He’s going to be a player, hopefully,” Hartsock said with a smile.
Another Hartsock will join the Cougars sooner than that. Noah’s younger brother, Jakob, signed with BYU and is currently serving a mission in Las Vegas.
Meanwhile, Noah is busy preparing for a career in coaching.
“I’d love to keep on coaching. I’d love to stay at this level, but even if it’s high school, I’m just looking forward to being involved with basketball,” he said. “It’s what I know really well and it’s been part of my life for so long. I really enjoy it.”
What is Hartsock’s scouting report on this year’s BYU team?
“They’re very talented. There are a lot of skill players that can do a lot of different things,” he said. “We have a lot of young players. That showed in our first conference games. Most guys didn’t know what to expect. I think as they got into it, they knew more. They’ve done a really good job for how there have been so many good teams on the schedule. As it goes on, it will just get better and better. If they continue like they are, they’ll be pretty good.”
Hartsock is grateful to Rose for giving him a chance to chase his coaching dream, and he's learning all he can from him.
“I see how much he cares for each player and how much he wants to see them get better,” Hartsock said. “He knows all the ins and outs of knowing how to work the players hard, then give them rest. He understands the game so well and how to manage it. That’s taught me a lot from a coaching standpoint.”
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- RSL hangs on to defeat Houston, thanks to...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Hollis: Past Jazz players vs. the current...
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of NFL...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 101
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 64
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 49
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 30
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 27
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 23
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 20
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 14