College bowl: Just like the Pro Bowl, we pick the state's two best football teams
Deseret News Archives
The NFL ditched its traditional NFC-vs.-AFC format for this year's Pro Bowl, going instead with two team captains picking the sides just like the pickup games of your youth. We here at the Deseret News were inspired to try something similar with Utah's college teams.
Our player pool was any Utah college football player who participated in the 2013 season. Teams were selected by DeseretNews.com staff writers. Brandon Judd and Lafe Peavler selected for Team Deseret while Trent Christiansen and Carter Williams picked for Team News. Each team was asked to submit a list of its top two players for each position (11 on offense, 11 on defense, three specialists and one head coach). The teams were giving their No. 1 choices. Any identical No. 1 selection alternatively was given to the other team.
The results were interesting. We wish we could actually play this game somewhere warm and smog-free. Tell us which team would have won this fictional game. We'll announce the results after Sunday's Pro Bowl.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26