College bowl: Just like the Pro Bowl, we pick the state's two best football teams
Deseret News Archives
The NFL ditched its traditional NFC-vs.-AFC format for this year's Pro Bowl, going instead with two team captains picking the sides just like the pickup games of your youth. We here at the Deseret News were inspired to try something similar with Utah's college teams.
Our player pool was any Utah college football player who participated in the 2013 season. Teams were selected by DeseretNews.com staff writers. Brandon Judd and Lafe Peavler selected for Team Deseret while Trent Christiansen and Carter Williams picked for Team News. Each team was asked to submit a list of its top two players for each position (11 on offense, 11 on defense, three specialists and one head coach). The teams were giving their No. 1 choices. Any identical No. 1 selection alternatively was given to the other team.
The results were interesting. We wish we could actually play this game somewhere warm and smog-free. Tell us which team would have won this fictional game. We'll announce the results after Sunday's Pro Bowl.
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 30