Roy man hit by FrontRunner train remains hospitalized
OGDEN — A Roy father of four remains hospitalized with multiple broken bones and a severe brain injury two weeks after being hit by a FrontRunner train.
Alex Suarez, 36, got off the northbound commuter-rail train shortly after 7:45 a.m. on Jan. 7 and was hit by another FrontRunner train moments later while crossing the southbound tracks, police say. Investigators still aren't sure if Suarez was just distracted or in a hurry.
"We've been on a roller-coaster ride every single day," said Sergio Pio, Suarez's brother-in-law. "He has a broken leg, (injured) knee, broken arm. They removed his spleen and eight ribs."
Pio has been at McKay-Dee Hospital Center almost every day for the past two weeks to check on Suarez's progress. Doctors were able to repair most of the physical injuries, but they are concerned about the brain injury he sustained.
"After they went deeper, they found it was more injury than was supposed to be on the brain," Pio said.
Suarez was in fair condition as of Wednesday afternoon, according to a hospital spokeswoman.
For now, Suarez's wife and four children are just waiting and hoping that life will get back to normal.
"I don't know how many private rooms are in this hospital that I've been crying alone because I don't want to transfer that to my sister," Pio said. "They say tomorrow he can wake up and everything will be fine, or it could be six months to a year."
Pio said Suarez had just started a new job and that his COBRA health insurance had expired two days before the accident.
An account has been set up to help the Suarez family pay for medical bills. The account is set up as the Alex and Gabriela Suarez Family Fund at all Wells Fargo locations.
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- A World War II veteran's story: 'I had...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 159
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 79
- Police release names of officers... 37
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 34
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 18
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17