U. physicians working to determine cause of mix-up at infertility lab
The U. no longer maintains its own donor sperm bank and relies instead on national banks, where Mulvihill said processes can be better protected and there is a wider array of donors.
The U. will continue to host a hotline number and email — 801-587-5852 and email@example.com — for patients who have questions about their care. Paternity testing is available for patients who received care during the relevant time period, or when Lippert was employed at the clinic.
So far, the university has fielded about 15 calls, and all but two have been ruled out as possible issues related to the Lippert case. Those two are considering paternity tests.
"This is a very private situation between a couple and their physician in terms of trying to achieve a child under difficult circumstances," Mulvihill said. "Some patients have a loving, well-functioning family and they don't want to know too much more about the biological nature of the family, and others want to know."
A website, www.communitylabfacts.org, has also been set up to more easily disperse information to the public about the U.'s ongoing investigation and a panel of physicians has been established to review pertinent information and old documentation to determine what went wrong and how. The U. has also hired an independent third-party medical ethicist, R. Alta Charo from the University of Wisconsin, to review the methodology used by the committee and its findings and recommendations.
According to Mulvihill, the panel review should take about 90 days. "We don't know how long it will take to get to the truth of this matter," he said.
"We are deeply sorry for any anxiety this has caused to our patients."
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue atop...
- Huntsville man with unreported history of...
- Father, son make first court appearance in...
- Saved by the belt: Family recalls crash that...
- Cars, homes, police station damaged in...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 70
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 39
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 31
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 18
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 16