Reader's response: Are the 2 major parties beyond fixing?
A third party
While many of those quoted above recommended reforms that do not include the rise of a major third party to fix Washington, many of the responses were supportive of the idea:
Plenty of other respondents had the same conclusion, but their reasons varied. While some believe the more moderate Democrats and Republicans have become too similar for the good of the nation, such as Mike Tannehill, who believes that “when there is little difference between the two parties it is time for change,” others such as Carl Stark believe that a new party must form to avoid a takeover by either the far left or the far right:
Some, however, are less convinced that a third party is really what the country needs. These readers, such as commenter Steven Andrew Zaelit, are concerned that “third party candidates simply cannot muster enough support on a national level,” while others think third parties don’t have the interests of the whole country in mind:
@DesnewsOpinion The 2 major parties represent the whole of America, as the 3rd parties just focus on an individual aspect of the big parties— Jacko (@mrjackoboy) January 14, 2014
Ultimately, the emergence of a new major party will come down to public support for change, and as was the case with the emergence of the Republican Party in antebellum America, if a new prominent party were to gain momentum, it would likely force the demise of one of the other major parties.
To participate in our next Readers Response, don't forget to follow us on Twitter.
- What The New York Times gets wrong about...
- In our opinion: Fix, don't repeal, Affordable...
- What one word best describes Barack Obama?
- W. Bradford Wilcox: Yes, women and children...
- Why LDS Church's anti-discrimination stance...
- Michael Gerson: America has enough problems...
- In our opinion: It's time for Utah to adopt a...
- Michael and Jenet Erickson: Utah businesses...
- What The New York Times gets wrong... 74
- In our opinion: Fix, don't repeal,... 58
- Michael and Jenet Erickson: Utah... 50
- In our opinion: It's time to end the... 42
- Mike Lee: Tax reform shouldn't penalize... 38
- In our opinion: Fairness for all in... 37
- Jay Evensen: Will Obama visit Utah? Do... 37
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a... 33