My problem with Common Core Standards is they miss the point of education.
Preparation for life, not just a job or college, is the real purpose of education.
I am a retired public school teacher. For part of my career I taught physics in high school, and there were a few students that continued in that direction. But I felt the main purpose of what I taught was to teach physics in such a way that those who never took another class in the subject would be able to make better decisions by applying the things they learned.
Some of the best things I saw happen at my school were the plays, musicals and orchestra performances. Common Core seems to forget that part of life — where we enjoy the arts. In the plays, musicals and orchestra the students learned to follow direction and work under pressure. That was an excellent preparation for real life.
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- 10 things you never knew about the FBI
- In our opinion: With Shurtleff and Swallow...
- My view: A global warming solution to grow...
- Helping kids master what matters: Emotions,...
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah...
- Letter: Degrading literature
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 63
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 53
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 48
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- In our opinion: Use market forces and... 35
- The complicated political views of... 33
- In our opinion: With Shurtleff and... 28