Internet phenomenon: 'Tips for Jesus' leaves waitress $3K tip in San Francisco
More than 72,000 users on Instagram follow one of the latest Internet trends, full of participants who, for the most part, have been able to remain anonymous. "Tips for Jesus" is a campaign that gives generous amounts of money to waiters and waitresses across the country, and last week it struck again in San Fransisco.
Hilary Hesse, a waitress at sushi restaurant Roka Akor, thought Tuesday night was just like any other. But Hesse told KPIX 5 it wasn't until the anonymous man in the back corner left, that she realized he had left a $3,000 tip.
"First, I think that he doesn’t know how to use the decimal point and that it was actually $30," Hesse told KPIX 5. "And then I looked closer."
The man didn't leave a name on the receipt, simply the phrase "Tips for Jesus" at the top. According to the waitress, the mystery tipper also picked up the tab for a neighboring table.
The tipping campaign began in September of last year simply by documenting the receipts on the Instagram account. Since the first tip, many have tried to find out who is behind what Cnews reported as more than $54,000 in tips.
In December, the Gawker media blog ValleyWag claimed the tipper to be Jack Selby, a former vice president of PayPal, but Selby has not confirmed anything.
Regardless of who is behind the act, Hesse expressed her gratitude for such generosity.
"Whoever he is, Heese said she wishes she could tell him thanks and to sit in her section again," KPIX 5 reported.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- LDS Church to break ground next month for...
- Observers uncertain about the impact of...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 71
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 59
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 50
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 41
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 39
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 26
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- New solar panels are symbol of the... 11