Jonathan Hayward, AP
WEST VALLEY CITY — Back in 2011, the Utah Grizzlies dropped gloves with the Stockton Thunder in a brawl where every man on the ice was involved.
Over the weekend in the NHL a similar incident occurred between the Calgary Flames and the Vancouver Canucks as both teams dropped their gloves and started the game with a fight that involved every man on the ice.
Chris Butler, one of the eight players ejected from the game said afterward, “I don’t think anybody expected that."
Asked about Saturday's brawl and whether he has been in a similar incident, Danick Paquette of the Grizzlies laughed and said, "Usually I start it. It has happened to me before, but it's a part of hockey and five guys wanted to go and they went."
Grizzlies head coach Tim Branham responded to a similar question saying, “Yeah, bench clearers and line brawls and I don’t like to see that. Sometimes you do what you got to do to spark your team.” Branham continued saying, “It’s a tough call for coaches to make; do you put out your skill guys or enforcers? I don’t envy it.”
The Utah Grizzlies haven’t been in anything like a five-on-five all-out brawl this season, but referring to the NHL brawl Branham added, “I don’t know, I wasn’t in that situation. Even if you put your tough guys out there it doesn’t mean there will be a fight, (but) it’s entertaining for the fans.”
The Grizzlies will be back at home and in action on Friday and Saturday at the Maverik Center where they will be taking on a Bakersfield team that is chasing the Grizzlies in the standings.
Follow David Winkworth on Twitter @RealDavidVito and listen to his podcast at http://sportsathome.webs.com/ for all the latest news and notes around the sporting world.
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- BYU Cougars video: Jeff Call tells us what to...
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 82
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31