Jonathan Hayward, AP
WEST VALLEY CITY — Back in 2011, the Utah Grizzlies dropped gloves with the Stockton Thunder in a brawl where every man on the ice was involved.
Over the weekend in the NHL a similar incident occurred between the Calgary Flames and the Vancouver Canucks as both teams dropped their gloves and started the game with a fight that involved every man on the ice.
Chris Butler, one of the eight players ejected from the game said afterward, “I don’t think anybody expected that."
Asked about Saturday's brawl and whether he has been in a similar incident, Danick Paquette of the Grizzlies laughed and said, "Usually I start it. It has happened to me before, but it's a part of hockey and five guys wanted to go and they went."
Grizzlies head coach Tim Branham responded to a similar question saying, “Yeah, bench clearers and line brawls and I don’t like to see that. Sometimes you do what you got to do to spark your team.” Branham continued saying, “It’s a tough call for coaches to make; do you put out your skill guys or enforcers? I don’t envy it.”
The Utah Grizzlies haven’t been in anything like a five-on-five all-out brawl this season, but referring to the NHL brawl Branham added, “I don’t know, I wasn’t in that situation. Even if you put your tough guys out there it doesn’t mean there will be a fight, (but) it’s entertaining for the fans.”
The Grizzlies will be back at home and in action on Friday and Saturday at the Maverik Center where they will be taking on a Bakersfield team that is chasing the Grizzlies in the standings.
Follow David Winkworth on Twitter @RealDavidVito and listen to his podcast at http://sportsathome.webs.com/ for all the latest news and notes around the sporting world.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45