WEST VALLEY CITY — In overtime, the Grizzlies had a few good looks at the net but just couldn’t find a way to get past Idaho’s goaltender Pat Nagle. Idaho’s forward William Rapuzzi squeezed the puck past Igor Bobkov to get the game-winning goal in a 4-3 win for Idaho.
In front of nearly 9,000 people at the Maverik Center, it looked like David Vallorani scored the game-winning goal to keep the Grizzlies unbeaten in their last eight homes games, but Idaho scored a late goal off Utah’s turnover to send the game into overtime.
Head coach Tim Branham said after the game, “We had the one, and that one stings. We will take the point in the standings.”
The Utah Grizzlies and the Idaho Steelheads finished up a four-game series on Monday afternoon, when the Grizzlies took five points out of eight in the four-game series.
D.J Jellitto has been a huge factor in this series against Idaho, where in the two road games Jellito scored in each game and after being held without a goal on Saturday night he made up for it on Monday.
It only took two minutes for the Grizzlies to get on the board in Saturday’s win over the Idaho Steelheads.
Monday’s game, it took a bit longer than that. Jelitto scored the first goal of the game after 45 seconds into the second period after a scoreless first period of play.
Jellitto, who scored his third and fourth goal in the series and his sixth goal of the year, said after the game, “When you’re having fun, you’re playing with confidence, the pucks will bounce your way too. You have to make your chances as well.”
Igor Bobkov was sent back down after spending some time in Norfolk with the Admirals. He was back in goal for the Grizzlies Monday with 27 of 31 shots on the day.
Branham said of Bobkov’s play, “He gave us a chance to win that one; he made some big saves for us.”
Late in the third period, Andrew O’Brien got a five-minute major game misconduct, which left the Grizzlies a man down.
The Grizzlies' defense stepped up on the penalty kill to kill off the five-minute major.
“We had a big kill there, we responded by scoring,” Branham said.
The Utah Grizzlies will be back at home on Friday and Saturday, where they will be taking on a Bakersville team that is chasing the Grizzlies in the standings.
Branham said, “Every game from here on out is huge. We will be ready, and we are playing some really good hockey since our break.”
Follow David Winkworth on Twitter @RealDavidVito and listen to his podcast at http://sportsathome.webs.com/ for all the latest news and notes around the sporting world.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Former Ute player among those invited to work...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 55
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 47
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 44
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 12
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8