Bingham’s Nick Heninger tested his wares in the finals of this tournament, losing 7-0. Heninger did knock off former 5A rival Colton Grossaint in the semi-finals. Both met several times last year, including the 5A state finals, but this time the Miner grappler bested Grossaint 5-1. The Cougar battled back to take third.
Centennial’s Jon Jay Chavez won the 160-pound weight class in a rematch of his Reno Tournament of Champions final with Salem Hill’s Jacob Armstrong. Chavez won the Reno final 3-0, but this time opened up the margin a bit, beating the Skyhawk grappler 9-2.
Fans of Region 5 wrestling saw a familiar rivalry between Box Elder’s Matt Williams and Mountain Crest’s Jordan Wengreen. Williams won 3-2 in the ultimate tiebreaker. Both wrestlers failed to take down each other and secured escapes in both regulation and the first set of tiebreakers. But Williams won the right to have his choice of either top or bottom in the ultimate tiebreaker by scoring the match’s first point. The Bee then chose down and quickly escaped to win this meeting.
The two met last week with Wengreen winning in the finals of the Richardson Memorial. It is possible that the two could meet three more times as the two teams dual each other next week, and the two schools also are in the same league and classification.
Other champions included American Fork’s Cameron Hunsaker (106), Hurricane’s Josh Pettus (120), Post Falls' Darek Huff (126), Centennial’s Hayden Tuma (145), Broomfield, Colorado’s, Zach Stodden (182), and Fruita Monument, Colorado’s, Justin Seely (195).
Before the finals of the tournament, former Hurricane wrestling star Brian Scott, who recently lost his battle with leukemia, was honored with a moment of silence.
Complete team and individual results can be found at www.trackwrestling.com.
Brian Preece is a freelance sports writer and former head wrestling coach at Provo High School from 1994-2006.
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Locals and the NFL playoffs: Alex... 1
- Herriman brothers say their bond,... 1
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015 0
- High school basketball: Morby's... 0
- How to watch Utah football stars, local... 0
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers... 0
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins... 0
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery:... 0