Bingham’s Nick Heninger tested his wares in the finals of this tournament, losing 7-0. Heninger did knock off former 5A rival Colton Grossaint in the semi-finals. Both met several times last year, including the 5A state finals, but this time the Miner grappler bested Grossaint 5-1. The Cougar battled back to take third.
Centennial’s Jon Jay Chavez won the 160-pound weight class in a rematch of his Reno Tournament of Champions final with Salem Hill’s Jacob Armstrong. Chavez won the Reno final 3-0, but this time opened up the margin a bit, beating the Skyhawk grappler 9-2.
Fans of Region 5 wrestling saw a familiar rivalry between Box Elder’s Matt Williams and Mountain Crest’s Jordan Wengreen. Williams won 3-2 in the ultimate tiebreaker. Both wrestlers failed to take down each other and secured escapes in both regulation and the first set of tiebreakers. But Williams won the right to have his choice of either top or bottom in the ultimate tiebreaker by scoring the match’s first point. The Bee then chose down and quickly escaped to win this meeting.
The two met last week with Wengreen winning in the finals of the Richardson Memorial. It is possible that the two could meet three more times as the two teams dual each other next week, and the two schools also are in the same league and classification.
Other champions included American Fork’s Cameron Hunsaker (106), Hurricane’s Josh Pettus (120), Post Falls' Darek Huff (126), Centennial’s Hayden Tuma (145), Broomfield, Colorado’s, Zach Stodden (182), and Fruita Monument, Colorado’s, Justin Seely (195).
Before the finals of the tournament, former Hurricane wrestling star Brian Scott, who recently lost his battle with leukemia, was honored with a moment of silence.
Complete team and individual results can be found at www.trackwrestling.com.
Brian Preece is a freelance sports writer and former head wrestling coach at Provo High School from 1994-2006.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Utahns in baseball: Former Ute Morin plays...
- High school football: Hillcrest Huskies 2015...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 55
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 45
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 29
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 23
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 23
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 16
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16