That was 75,000 free clients ago.
He’s found plenty of support for his cause. Any number of area optometrists routinely provide their services to his clinic at reduced rates, while charity-minded foundations, such as the Sorenson family and others, have lent financial assistance. Deseret Industries regularly sends him temporary help free of charge. And recently, the Salt Lake-based Intrepid Agency came on board to provide pro bono help with publicity.
In Las Vegas, a coalition of kid-friendly philanthropists — including hotel magnate Steve Wynn and his former wife Elaine — heard about what he was doing and helped fund EyeCare4Kids outlets at several schools in southern Nevada.
That’s just the start of the expansion, Carbone hopes. He would like to set up similar EyeCare4Kids outlets at Utah school districts and eventually take the cause nationally and internationally — even back to his roots.
“I one day would like the kid from Brooklyn to go back there and open a clinic,” he says. “That would be the cherry on the cupcake.”
But he knows he needs all the help he can get, which is why, with Intrepid’s help, he is mounting an aggressive public campaign in 2014 to raise awareness and funds. (You can make a donation at any Zions Bank location or by going to eyecare4kids.org. It costs about $35 to fit one child with glasses).
“I hope before I die we can help a million kids get glasses,” says Carbone. “That’s my goal.”
And his vision.
Lee Benson's About Utah column runs Mondays. Email: email@example.com
- 33 things I want my sons to know
- In music video, boy band tells Provo women...
- Ballet to Broadway: Two Utah-native siblings...
- 25 ways I know my husband loves me
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- Character counts, but politics, gender and...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 156
- Linda & Richard Eyre: If we lose... 45
- Experts debate whether marriage is... 30
- Character counts, but politics, gender... 28
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Why do Elsa's and Anna's parents have... 6
- Is the 'friend zone' a bad thing? 4