Southern Utah hires former BYU head coach Gary Crowton to join football coaching staff
August Miller, Deseret News archives
Southern Utah University Athletic Director Ken Beazer announced via Twitter Saturday that the university has hired former BYU head coach Gary Crowton to join the Thunderbirds' football coaching staff.
Southern Utah Radio reported that Beazer and football head coach Ed Lamb confirmed that Crowton will be the team's offensive coordinator.
Crowton served as BYU's head football coach from 2001-04, replacing legendary head coach LaVell Edwards. His first season, the Cougars had a 12-2 record in 2001 and won the Mountain West Conference title. With quarterback Brandon Doman and Luke Staley leading the way, the BYU offense averaged a nation-leading 46.77 points and 542.85 yards per game that season.
But Crowton stepped down in 2004 after three consecutive losing seasons and finished his Cougar career with a 26-23 overall record.
Since that time, he has served as offensive coordinator for Oregon, LSU, Maryland and Winnipeg of the CFL. During Crowton's first season at LSU, the Tigers won the BCS national championship.
Crowton was most recently at Winnipeg, but he was fired by the Blue Bombers in August 2013 after a Winnipeg loss dropped the team to 1-6 on the season.
"Our offence has not played up to their standards and we need to make this change in order to give us a chance at remaining in the hunt for the postseason," Blue Bombers head coach Tim Burke told TSN.com. "I wish Gary all the best in his future endeavours."
At SUU, Crowton replaces former assistant coach Steve Clark. New Weber State head coach Jay Hill hired Clark as his new offensive coordinator in December.
Great additions to our staff, can't wait 2 start working w/ veteran coaches Gary Crowton and Ken Miller. #tbirdnation u have to be fired up!— Demario Warren (@DemarioWarren) January 18, 2014
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Brad Rock: Utah Jazz still don't have the...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 290
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 53
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 42
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37