Southern Utah hires former BYU head coach Gary Crowton to join football coaching staff
August Miller, Deseret News archives
Southern Utah University Athletic Director Ken Beazer announced via Twitter Saturday that the university has hired former BYU head coach Gary Crowton to join the Thunderbirds' football coaching staff.
Southern Utah Radio reported that Beazer and football head coach Ed Lamb confirmed that Crowton will be the team's offensive coordinator.
Crowton served as BYU's head football coach from 2001-04, replacing legendary head coach LaVell Edwards. His first season, the Cougars had a 12-2 record in 2001 and won the Mountain West Conference title. With quarterback Brandon Doman and Luke Staley leading the way, the BYU offense averaged a nation-leading 46.77 points and 542.85 yards per game that season.
But Crowton stepped down in 2004 after three consecutive losing seasons and finished his Cougar career with a 26-23 overall record.
Since that time, he has served as offensive coordinator for Oregon, LSU, Maryland and Winnipeg of the CFL. During Crowton's first season at LSU, the Tigers won the BCS national championship.
Crowton was most recently at Winnipeg, but he was fired by the Blue Bombers in August 2013 after a Winnipeg loss dropped the team to 1-6 on the season.
"Our offence has not played up to their standards and we need to make this change in order to give us a chance at remaining in the hunt for the postseason," Blue Bombers head coach Tim Burke told TSN.com. "I wish Gary all the best in his future endeavours."
At SUU, Crowton replaces former assistant coach Steve Clark. New Weber State head coach Jay Hill hired Clark as his new offensive coordinator in December.
Great additions to our staff, can't wait 2 start working w/ veteran coaches Gary Crowton and Ken Miller. #tbirdnation u have to be fired up!— Demario Warren (@DemarioWarren) January 18, 2014
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia team...
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No. 23 in...
- Utah Sports Ruckus: BYU football's first...
- Amy Donaldson: Domestic violence isn't a...
- With Chuckie Keeton's status still uncertain,...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a little...
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6 seasons, but...
- Dick Harmon: BYU safeties Craig Bills, Dallin...
- AAC commish: BYU is a 'power' team 129
- Roller-coaster ride: BYU outlasts... 103
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 78
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 43
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 43
- BYU football report card: Mostly B's... 36