'Deseret News Sunday Edition' looks at religious freedom with Ravi Zacharias, persecuted Christians and Common Core
On this week’s “Deseret News Sunday Edition,” Ravi Zacharias discusses religious freedom, a National Geographic picture spurs help for persecuted Christians, and writer Celia Baker explains Common Core.
This week’s show begins with a focus on faith and freedom. Ravi Zacharias is an internationally renowned Christian apologist and author. He believes the ideas of secularization and pluralization have become distorted in today's culture. He discusses the key issues that surround life and liberty.
The second segment of the show features an inspiring story about the power of a picture. A photograph tucked inside the pages of a National Geographic had a profound impact on the woman who took the picture and a man in Idaho who saw it. The two ended up joining forces to help a group of Christians in India who have been persecuted for their beliefs. According to a new Pew report, religious freedom is under increasing pressure around the world. Eric Schulzke has studied the issue and discusses the report with host Dave McCann.
Common Core state standards are one of the most politicized and misunderstood changes in grade-school education. Teachers in most states are now using them in the classroom. Critics of the new standards believe there are few things more dangerous happening in the country. The standards were created by the National Governors Association and the Council of Chief State School Officers to improve academic achievement and increase accountability. In a four-part series, the Deseret News explores how teachers are incorporating Common Core. Reporter Celia Baker gives a preview and explains some of the misconceptions.
The "Deseret News Sunday Edition" runs on KSL-TV at 9 a.m. on Sundays and highlights six areas of editorial emphasis: family, faith in the community, excellence in education, values in media and culture, causes related to helping the poor and financial responsibility.
Candice Madsen is a senior producer of special projects for KSL-TV and produces the weekly television program "Deseret News Sunday Edition." EMAIL: email@example.com
- Security breached: Intruder gets into White...
- 'The Voice' returns Monday with Pharrell,...
- Tense hunt in trooper ambush case hits 8 days
- Student debt pushing some retirees toward...
- Second man arrested trying to enter White...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Secret Service boosts security outside White...
- After vote to stay in UK, Scots must heal divide
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- How much America wants to be taxed 8
- New Jersey loses 4th casino as Trump... 5
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- Dempsey: Half of Iraqi army not OK as... 4