Utah Grizzlies: Aaron Dell's 27 save shutout leads Utah, 3-0, over Idaho
The Utah Grizzlies defeated the Idaho Steelheads, 3-0, on Friday night in Boise as Grizzlies goaltender Aaron Dell recorded his second shutout of the year stopping all 27 shots as he improved to 9-3-0-1 on the year.
The Grizzlies built a 2-0 first period lead as Vinny Scarsella’s seventh goal of the season 4:15 into the first period got the scoring started. Phil Mangan and Pat O’Keefe drew assists on Utah’s first power-play of the night.
The Grizzlies improved to 7-2-1-2 over their last 12 games with the win as they keep rolling up the standings points.
Twelve seconds after Utah’s second power-play elapsed, Steve Mele, in his Utah debut, got a puck deep from the neutral zone, and D.J. Jelitto and Martin Lee worked the puck around as Gentry Zollars flew toward the net for his first goal in Utah.
The Grizzlies killed an early penalty on Idaho’s third ranked power-play in the second and then made it 3-0 with a shorthanded goal 9:05 into the second period as Brent Gwidt fed D.J. Jelitto on a two-on-one for his fourth goal of the year.
Dell made some spectacular saves in the third period as Utah kept Idaho off the board and went 6-for-6 on the penalty-kill.
The game got testy late as the two rivals prepare for two meetings in Utah over the next three games.
Utah is back home Saturday with Idaho. It is another player poster giveaway. Faceoff is at 7 p.m.
- 'A little dating community': Marriages emerge...
- Morning links: Most excitement for Jazz since...
- Exum, Hood, Cooley shine for Jazz in Summer...
- Aggies, Cougars, Utes named to college...
- From stutterer to preacher: Former BYU safety...
- Top in-state basketball prospects receiving...
- Police arrest, identify alleged gunman in...
- Trey Lyles signs with Utah Jazz
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;... 41
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder... 38
- Morning links: Most excitement for Jazz... 36
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert... 30
- Utah Utes enjoy banner year as seven... 24
- Hatfield suspended from U. football... 24
- Utah Jazz: Brazilian point guard Raul... 16
- BYU football recruit Charles West shot... 16