Utah Grizzlies: Aaron Dell's 27 save shutout leads Utah, 3-0, over Idaho
The Utah Grizzlies defeated the Idaho Steelheads, 3-0, on Friday night in Boise as Grizzlies goaltender Aaron Dell recorded his second shutout of the year stopping all 27 shots as he improved to 9-3-0-1 on the year.
The Grizzlies built a 2-0 first period lead as Vinny Scarsella’s seventh goal of the season 4:15 into the first period got the scoring started. Phil Mangan and Pat O’Keefe drew assists on Utah’s first power-play of the night.
The Grizzlies improved to 7-2-1-2 over their last 12 games with the win as they keep rolling up the standings points.
Twelve seconds after Utah’s second power-play elapsed, Steve Mele, in his Utah debut, got a puck deep from the neutral zone, and D.J. Jelitto and Martin Lee worked the puck around as Gentry Zollars flew toward the net for his first goal in Utah.
The Grizzlies killed an early penalty on Idaho’s third ranked power-play in the second and then made it 3-0 with a shorthanded goal 9:05 into the second period as Brent Gwidt fed D.J. Jelitto on a two-on-one for his fourth goal of the year.
Dell made some spectacular saves in the third period as Utah kept Idaho off the board and went 6-for-6 on the penalty-kill.
The game got testy late as the two rivals prepare for two meetings in Utah over the next three games.
Utah is back home Saturday with Idaho. It is another player poster giveaway. Faceoff is at 7 p.m.
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Streb shoots 63 and joins Walker in lead at PGA
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 65
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 40
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20