Book review: 'Tooele Valley Railroad' shares interesting historical photos
Editor's note: This is one of a trio of books that highlight an aspect of Utah's history.
"IMAGES OF RAIL: Tooele Valley Railroad,” by Emma Louise Penrod, Arcadia Publishing, $21.99, 125 pages (nf)
“Images of Rail: Tooele Valley Railroad” by Emma Louise Penrod shares a detailed account of how the railroad of Tooele came about.
Many trials occurred for those working for the railroad and those who owned it. The journey takes the reader from the time when the railroad was first coming in the early 1900s all the way through its wind-down in the 1980s.
Captions from the book include relevant cost estimates for if things were done today rather than in the early 1900s, impact on residents and other interesting historical tidbits.
Many of the photos and captions follow a loose chronological order. The photos have been compiled in a way that can captivate readers through the combined words and images.
Visitors in Tooele can go to the Tooele Valley Railroad Museum, although the tracks aren’t in use today. The museum is only open between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
Part of the book makes a brief mention of the Mormon pioneers. It's a clean historical book, and it was created with the help of a research and creative works grant.
Penrod has a knack for Tooele’s railroad history and is a contributor to the Tooele Transcript-Bulletin and a former Deseret News intern.
Ashlynn Green is a wife, daughter, sister, pug-lover, soon-to-be mother and a huge believer in the family. Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar Galactica'...
- Capturing 'Mormon Faces': LDS mother,...
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys' for kids
- 'Fire is catching,' so catch up with Katniss
- 'VeggieTales' spinoff debuts on Netflix Nov. 26
- Area theaters bringing stars, Scrooges to...
- Gift Guide: 3 ways to watch streaming video...
- A community of theater: Utah theater...
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar... 14
- Jennifer Lawrence: Privacy loss that... 4
- FanX returns in January with 'Star... 4
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys'... 3
- Gift Guide: 3 ways to watch streaming... 3
- Model-TV host Dickinson accuses Cosby... 2
- Going gluten-free for Thanksgiving 2
- Cookbooks see growth, but slow to move... 1