Book review: 'Evertrue' is a satisfying conclusion to trilogy
"Evertrue" by Utah author Brodi Ashton is the final book in the Everneath trilogy. Though complex, it is a satisfying conclusion to a seemingly doomed love story.
After her perilous journey to rescue her boyfriend, Jack, Nikki was turned into an Everliving. Cole, who tricked Nikki into giving him her heart, will stop at nothing to make sure Nikki becomes the new queen of the Everneath.
Though it seems useless, Jack will not stop until Nikki finds her heart. In order to find it, Jack and Nikki must destroy the Everneath, and they must do this behind Cole's back.
"Evertrue" is a complicated story that is loosely based on the Persephone myth. There are times throughout the book when readers may feel as though they are getting an intensive lesson on Greek mythology.
To help tell the story of Nikki and Jack, Ashton relies heavily on Greek myths. At times, it feels as though too much is crammed into one book.
Though it is easy to get sidetracked, the reader can still be drawn to the main point of the story, which is whether Nikki will become queen and rule side by side with Cole.
The ending of the book is the best part. Ashton neatly ends the characters' adventures. There are no big cliffhangers. Fans of the series will be happy and ask for more.
"Everneath" is a unique book with a plotline that sets it apart from other paranormal young adult books. Ashton should be commended for going outside the mold.
There is occasional language used throughout the books. There are also multiple romantic scenes between the two main characters.
Because of the dreamy nature of the book, it is most likely to appeal to teen girls.
If you go ...
What: "Evertrue" book launch and Brodi Ashton book signing
When: Tuesday, Jan. 21, 7 p.m.
Where: The King's English, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City
Note: Places in the signing line are reserved for those who purchase a copy of the featured book from The King's English.
Shelby Scoffield has a bachelor's in English from Brigham Young University and a master's in rhetoric and composition from Stanislaus State University. She is currently working on her teaching credentials so she can teach high school English.
- CNN hires fired Trump campaign manager...
- The newscasters who have made the most cameos...
- Magic land Serge Ibaka in draft-night trade...
- Pistorius shown in TV interview ahead of...
- BET Awards full of Prince tributes and...
- Extraterrestrial encounters: A look at 10...
- Chris Hicks: Slapstick comedy is given a bad...
- Netflix makes another serious bid to become...
- Hollywood's treatment of the disabled... 7
- Extraterrestrial encounters: A look at... 2
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Life, choices... 2
- 'Resurgence' is a weak payoff for fans... 2
- BET Awards full of Prince tributes and... 1
- Book review: 'Conspiracy at Carthage'... 1
- CNN hires fired Trump campaign manager... 0
- The newscasters who have made the most... 0