Local players hope to shine this Saturday during annual East-West Shrine Game
Tom Smart, Deseret News
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Three players from local colleges are taking part in this weekend's East-West Shrine Game. The game will be held at 2 p.m. MST and will be televised on the NFL network.
The East-West Shrine Game is the longest running college all-star game in the country. A staple in college football since 1925, the game has consistently proven to be a launch pad for players seeking professional careers in the NFL. More than 100 players from the 88th East-West Shrine Game signed with professional football teams in 2013. On average, more than 275 East-West Shrine Game alumni are on NFL rosters each year.
Daniel Sorensen (BYU) was a three-year starter at safety for the Cougars and was noted for his work as a gunner on special teams coverage units. Sorensen is a 6-foot-2, 208-pound safety prospect and will play for the West team this Saturday.
Kaneakua Friel (BYU) started at tight end for the Cougars his junior season before playing a backup role as a senior. The 6-foot-5, 261-pound athlete had 48 receptions for 491 yards and seven touchdowns over his career and will play for the West team.
Nevin Lawson (Utah State) was a three-year starter for the Aggies and had six interceptions and 36 pass breakups in his four seasons in Logan. The 5-foot-10, 186-pound athlete will play for the East team.
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- MWC commissioner says it's probable BYU...
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- Jazz lose 106-103 heartbreaker to the...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 109
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 70
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 68
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 47
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends... 37
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 36