This father of 12 made sure his kids paid their own way through college
Big families often equal big trouble when it comes to paying for your children's education, but not for Francis L. Thompson.
In a piece published on Quartz, Thompson explains that though he always "had a very prosperous job and enough money to give my kids almost anything,” he and his wife decided not to.
The result was all 12 of their children attending college, and all of them paying their own way.
"We loved the children regardless of what they did," he wrote after detailing the steps they took to teach their children responsibility, adding that he and his wife "were and are not our kids’ best friends. We were their parents."
- Renovation Solutions: 5 signs it is time to...
- What it takes to be middle class in each state
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy...
- How one woman unplugged from technology for...
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view of the...
- Can a company really be altruistic?
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't be ashamed of...
- What could McDonald's do to fix its business?
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't be ashamed of... 18
- What could McDonald's do to fix its... 11
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 7
- How one woman unplugged from technology... 6
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy... 5
- Balancing act: Son's comment teaches a... 1
- Why college matters more today than 20... 1
- Can a company really be altruistic? 1