This father of 12 made sure his kids paid their own way through college
Big families often equal big trouble when it comes to paying for your children's education, but not for Francis L. Thompson.
In a piece published on Quartz, Thompson explains that though he always "had a very prosperous job and enough money to give my kids almost anything,” he and his wife decided not to.
The result was all 12 of their children attending college, and all of them paying their own way.
"We loved the children regardless of what they did," he wrote after detailing the steps they took to teach their children responsibility, adding that he and his wife "were and are not our kids’ best friends. We were their parents."
- A solution to paying that medical bill you...
- Navy vet says the effects of this are like...
- Restaurants experimenting with pay-in-advance...
- How depression threatens financial well-being
- 7 benefits of taking vacation time
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000 —...
- Allow student loan bankruptcies, but hold...
- The 20 best cities to live in for first-time...
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 15
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000... 10
- Food stamp use shows continued... 7
- Want to increase attraction in your... 7
- Balancing act: Readers dispute... 4
- A solution to paying that medical bill... 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't make... 4
- Middle-class shoppers more sensitive to... 1