This father of 12 made sure his kids paid their own way through college
Big families often equal big trouble when it comes to paying for your children's education, but not for Francis L. Thompson.
In a piece published on Quartz, Thompson explains that though he always "had a very prosperous job and enough money to give my kids almost anything,” he and his wife decided not to.
The result was all 12 of their children attending college, and all of them paying their own way.
"We loved the children regardless of what they did," he wrote after detailing the steps they took to teach their children responsibility, adding that he and his wife "were and are not our kids’ best friends. We were their parents."
- The most expensive homes in Utah in 2014
- 12 ways to get the lowest mortgage refinance...
- How actress Blake Lively's family saves money...
- Why 'Shark Tank' investor Barbara Corcoran...
- In our opinion: Fear, intentions can result...
- 4 unexpected health risks of smartphone use
- There's more to Black Friday than getting a...
- 5 easy ways to make your money work for you
- Pope demands just distribution of... 6
- In our opinion: Fear, intentions can... 5
- Ford's new F-150 to get 26 mpg, tops... 4
- Gift Guide: 3 ways to watch streaming... 3
- Minivans do poorly in new crash tests 2
- When low-income housing is converted... 2
- 5 reasons not planning could help you... 1
- How are holiday shoppers spending their... 1