This father of 12 made sure his kids paid their own way through college
Big families often equal big trouble when it comes to paying for your children's education, but not for Francis L. Thompson.
In a piece published on Quartz, Thompson explains that though he always "had a very prosperous job and enough money to give my kids almost anything,” he and his wife decided not to.
The result was all 12 of their children attending college, and all of them paying their own way.
"We loved the children regardless of what they did," he wrote after detailing the steps they took to teach their children responsibility, adding that he and his wife "were and are not our kids’ best friends. We were their parents."
- 9 reasons you may never retire
- Wal-Mart vs. Target: Wal-Mart ups ante on...
- Top 10 money mistakes new parents make
- How the 'world's best counterfeiter' got away...
- 4 reasons it pays to be thin and assertive,...
- Homes sales down in Salt Lake County for...
- Creative kitchen remodel ideas for every budget
- Smaller down payments are the wrong solution...
- The marriage between economic success... 5
- How one woman got rid of $20,000 in... 3
- Charity, it does a body good 3
- 5 questions to ask on the way to the ER 3
- Stocks mostly lower as oil sinks,... 2
- Smartphone data encryption causing... 2
- Churches preach against payday loans,... 2
- This billionaire is going to die broke... 2