High school wrestling: Vikings recognize seniors, wrestlers and coach
If wrestling is your game and Pleasant Grove is your school, Thursday evening was the place to be in attendance at the Vikings' last home dual wrestling match for the season as Pleasant Grove recognized the seniors on the team.
The Vikings won their last match for the season at home against Lehi 58-16 on the strength of six pins, two major decisions, one technical fall, one decision and one forfeit.
One of the most anticipated matches was at 170 pounds and had Lehi sophomore Caden Calton versus Pleasant Grove senior TJ Wind. It was called the battle of the running backs.
Calton was Lehi's sensational running back, gaining 1,954 yards on 267 carries, ending the season ranked No. 1 in rushing in 5A, scoring 24 touchdowns. That was in just 10 games as the team did not make it to the state playoffs.
Wind was in the same position for the Vikings, gaining 1,322 yards on 251 carries and scoring 23 touchdowns. He was ranked No. 4 in rushing in 5A.
Thursday night, Wind proved to be the stronger athlete as he pinned Calton early in the first half of the first period.
Just before the matches began, the announcer notified the audience that the National Federation of High School Coaches Association had selected head coach Brock Moore to receive the 2013 West Sectional Coach of the Year Award for the sport of wrestling.
The West section includes the states of Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada and Utah. The letter said, "Your contributions to high school athletics are truly deserving of our recognition and thanks." Moore has guided the Viking wrestlers to many dual, sectional and state championships, and this year's team looks to continue that pattern.
The Vikings are closing in on 30 wins for the season and have dual matches left at American Fork and Herriman, the Rocky Mountain Rumble Tournament at UVU, the South Summit Tournament, State Duals Tournament and then the state sectional tournaments to qualify wrestlers for the state tournament, held at the Maverik Center in February.
Kent Allen lives in Pleasant Grove and covers Pleasant Grove varsity sports for Deseret Connect.
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- Friday night light central: Week 2
- NFL locals photo gallery: Ansah grabs the...
- Parry's power guide to Utah high school...
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- High school football: No. 1 Bingham forces 4...
- Postseason success will not impact where high...
- High school football: No. 1 Bingham... 20
- Parry's power guide to Utah high school... 8
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school... 4
- Postseason success will not impact... 4
- National high school basketball... 3
- High school volleyball: Defending champ... 2
- High school football: Provo off to a... 1
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig... 1